The Costs and Benefits of Effluent Management Compliance in the Waikato Region of New Zealand
Dairy farming in the Waikato Region has contributed greatly to the reduction of water quality. Part of this is attributable to the issue of inappropriate disposal of dairy effluent. Regional authority data shows both costs and benefits of complying with effluent management regulations. Private costs result from system and management improvements, while private benefits are largely due to reduced fertiliser requirements. Decreases in the volume of 'non-compliant effluent', resulting from improved compliance, are used as an indicator to illustrate reduced environmental effects. The benefits of becoming compliant outweigh the costs for half the farms analysed. More incentives are required to promote compliance from the other farms although their environmental effects are generally smaller.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www4.agr.gc.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cullen, Ross & Hughey, Kenneth F.D. & Kerr, Geoffrey N., 2006.
"Public Perceptions of New Zealand's Environment,"
2006 Conference, August 24-25, 2006, Nelson, New Zealand
31958, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Cullen, Ross & Hughey, Kenneth F.D. & Kerr, Geoffrey N., 2006. "Public Perceptions of New Zealand's Environment," 2006 Conference, August 24-25, 2006, Nelson, New Zealand 31958, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Takatsuka, Yuki & Cullen, Ross & Wilson, Matthew & Wratten, Steve D., 2007. "Values of Ecosystem Services Associated with Intense Dairy Farming in New Zealand," 2007 Conference (51st), February 13-16, 2007, Queenstown, New Zealand 10411, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Tait, Peter R. & Cullen, Ross, 2006. "Some External Costs of Dairy Farming in Canterbury," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 109595, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Hayley H. Chouinard & Tobias Paterson & Philip R. Wandschneider & Adrienne M. Ohler, 2008. "Will Farmers Trade Profits for Stewardship? Heterogeneous Motivations for Farm Practice Selection," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(1), pages 66-82.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare09:48032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.