The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and Nutrient Intakes
The socioeconomic determinants of Food Stamp Program participation and the effects of program participation on nutrient intakes are investigated, using data from the 2003–04 and 2005–06 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). An endogenous switching regression system of equations is estimated, which includes protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron. Participation in the FSP is found to play an important role in nutrient intakes. Socio-demographic variables such as income, household size and presence of children are also found to affect individuals’ decisions on program participation and nutrient intakes.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vijverberg, Wim P. M., 1993. "Measuring the unidentified parameter of the extended Roy model of selectivity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 69-89.
- Heckman, J J & Tobias, Justin & Vytlacil, Ed, 2001.
"Four Parameters of Interest in the Evaluation of Social Programs,"
Staff General Research Papers
12022, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- James Heckman & Justin L. Tobias & Edward Vytlacil, 2001. "Four Parameters of Interest in the Evaluation of Social Programs," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 210-223, October.
- Parke E. Wilde & Paul E. McNamara & Christine K. Ranney, 1999. "The Effect of Income and Food Programs on Dietary Quality: A Seemingly Unrelated Regression Analysis with Error Components," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 959-971.
- J. S. Butler & James C. Ohls & Barbara Posner, 1985. "The Effect of the Food Stamp Program on the Nutrient Intake of the Eligible Elderly," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 20(3), pages 405-420.
- Craig Gundersen & Victor Oliveira, 2001. "The Food Stamp Program and Food Insufficiency," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 875-887.
- Heckman, James J & Honore, Bo E, 1990. "The Empirical Content of the Roy Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(5), pages 1121-49, September.
- Heckman, James J, 1990. "Varieties of Selection Bias," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 313-18, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea09:49529. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.