The Acreage and Borrowing Effects of Direct Payments Under Uncertainty: A Simulation Approach
We use simulation methods in an expected utility maximization framework to analyze a farmer’s optimal resource allocation in the presence of government payments, decoupled and not. This framework is extended to incorporate the optimal choice of investment levels in the presence of credit constraints. Further extensions include a wealth-dependent interest rate and decreasing marginal yields. We find decoupled payments affect the optimal choices of the credit-constrained farmer through a collateral-enhancement effect, so they do distort production. The 2005 proposal by Senators Grassley, Dorgan, Hagel, and Johnson to tighten limits on commodity payments is not found to affect payments of the typical Kansas farmer.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David A. Hennessy, 1998.
"The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies under Uncertainty,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 46-57.
- Hennessy, David A., 1998. "The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies Under Uncertainty," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1207, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra, 2005. "Another Look at Decoupling: Additional Evidence on the Production Effects of Direct Payments," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1200-1210.
- Vitor A. Ozaki & Sujit K. Ghosh & Barry K. Goodwin & Ricardo Shirota, 2008. "Spatio-Temporal Modeling of Agricultural Yield Data with an Application to Pricing Crop Insurance Contracts," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(4), pages 951-961.
- Ozaki, Vitor Augusto & Ghosh, Sujit K. & Goodwin, Barry K. & Shirota, Ricardo, 2005. "Spatio-Temporal Modeling Of Agricultural Yield Data With An Application To Pricing Crop Insurance Contracts," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19142, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Miller, J. Corey & Coble, Keith H. & Vergara, Oscar & Broyles, Meredith E., 2003. "Potential Impacts Of Changes To Government Payment Limits For Mississippi Farms," Research reports 15797, Mississippi State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Charles A. Towe & Mitchell J. Morehart, 2009. "Credit Constraints: Their Existence, Determinants, and Implications for U.S. Farm and Nonfarm Sole Proprietorships," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(1), pages 275-289. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea09:49349. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.