An Evaluation Of Geographic Targeting In Bolsa Alimentação In Brazil
We evaluate the effectiveness of targeting for Brazil's Bolsa Alimentação, a nutrition-oriented cash transfer program conditioned on beneficiary participation in health activities. Geographic targeting of program funds relied on adjusted estimates of municipality child stunting prevalence, or a malnutrition map. This evaluation provides new estimates of municipality child stunting prevalence for Brazil. The improved estimates indicate moderate budgetary misallocation from geographic targeting. However, when geographic targeting errors are combined with those arising from an inconsistency between geographic and household targeting objectives, undercoverage of children at greatest risk of stunting is potentially large.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ohtani, Kazuhiro & Kobayashi, Masahito, 1986. "A Bounds Test for Equality Between Sets of Coefficients in Two Linear Regression Models Under Heteroscedasticity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 220-231, August.
- Ravallion, Martin & Wodon, Quentin, 1997. "Poor areas, or only poor people?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1798, The World Bank.
- Baulch, Bob & Minot, Nicholas, 2002.
"Poverty mapping with aggregate census data,"
MTID discussion papers
49, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- David Coady & Margaret Grosh & John Hoddinott, 2004. "Targeting of Transfers in Developing Countries : Review of Lessons and Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14902.
- Simler, Kenneth R. & Nhate, Virgulino, 2005. "Poverty, inequality, and geographic targeting," FCND briefs 192, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hentschel, Jesko & Lanjouw, Jean Olson & Lanjouw, Peter & Poggi, Javier, 1998. "Combining census and survey data to study spatial dimensions of poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1928, The World Bank.
- Minot, Nicholas, 2000. "Generating Disaggregated Poverty Maps: An Application to Vietnam," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 319-331, February.
- Chris Elbers & Jean O. Lanjouw & Peter Lanjouw, 2003. "Micro--Level Estimation of Poverty and Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 355-364, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea03:21915. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.