An Evaluation Of Geographic Targeting In Bolsa Alimentação In Brazil
We evaluate the effectiveness of targeting for Brazil's Bolsa Alimentação, a nutrition-oriented cash transfer program conditioned on beneficiary participation in health activities. Geographic targeting of program funds relied on adjusted estimates of municipality child stunting prevalence, or a malnutrition map. This evaluation provides new estimates of municipality child stunting prevalence for Brazil. The improved estimates indicate moderate budgetary misallocation from geographic targeting. However, when geographic targeting errors are combined with those arising from an inconsistency between geographic and household targeting objectives, undercoverage of children at greatest risk of stunting is potentially large.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baulch, Bob & Minot, Nicholas, 2002.
"Poverty mapping with aggregate census data,"
MTID discussion papers
49, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Baulch, Bob & Minot, Nicholas, 2002. "Poverty mapping with aggregate census data," MSSD discussion papers 49, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Minot, Nicholas, 2000. "Generating Disaggregated Poverty Maps: An Application to Vietnam," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 319-331, February.
- David Coady & Margaret Grosh & John Hoddinott, 2004. "Targeting of Transfers in Developing Countries : Review of Lessons and Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14902, April.
- Chris Elbers & Jean O. Lanjouw & Peter Lanjouw, 2003. "Micro--Level Estimation of Poverty and Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 355-364, January.
- Ohtani, Kazuhiro & Kobayashi, Masahito, 1986. "A Bounds Test for Equality Between Sets of Coefficients in Two Linear Regression Models Under Heteroscedasticity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 220-231, August.
- Ravallion, Martin & Wodon, Quentin, 1997. "Poor areas, or only poor people?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1798, The World Bank.
- Simler, Kenneth R. & Nhate, Virgulino, 2005. "Poverty, inequality, and geographic targeting," FCND briefs 192, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hentschel, Jesko & Lanjouw, Jean Olson & Lanjouw, Peter & Poggi, Javier, 1998. "Combining census and survey data to study spatial dimensions of poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1928, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)