Productivity Growth, Technological Progress, and Technical Efficiency in the Heartland and Southern Cotton States:1996-1999
Given recent concerns expressed about the structural transformation of agriculture and the health of the family farm this study provides a measure of the economic health of small and large farms at the state level. We use nonparametric frontier methods to measure and explain changes in the efficiency, productivity, and technological change of U.S. farms, employing USDAs annual 1996 to 1999 surveys of farms. Our results for the corn and cotton states analyzed identify particularly weak economic performance of small farms in Iowa, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin and of large farms in Missouri, Oklahoma, and South Carolina. Our results also indicate strong performance of small farms in several states. Thus, these results give policy makers a more detailed and up to date view of the overall economic health of the agricultural sector in the states analyzed than has previously been possible with aggregate state level analyses.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Biswas, Basudeb & Bailey, DeeVon, 1989. "A Study of Economic Efficiency of Utah Dairy Farmers: A System Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 595-604, November.
- Almas Heshmati & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 1997. "Estimation Of Technical Efficiency In Swedish Crop Farms: A Pseudo Panel Data Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 22-37.
- Byrnes, Patricia, et al, 1987. "Technical Efficiency and Size: The Case of Illinois Grain Farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 14(4), pages 367-381.
- Sharma, Khem R. & Leung, PingSun & Zaleski, Halina M., 1999. "Technical, allocative and economic efficiencies in swine production in Hawaii: a comparison of parametric and nonparametric approaches," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 23-35, January.
- V. Eldon Ball & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Richard Nehring & Agapi Somwaru, 1997. "Agricultural Productivity Revisited," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1045-1063.
- Peterson, Willis L., 1997. "Are Large Farms More Efficient?," Staff Papers 13411, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea01:20679. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.