Flexibility And Competition In U.S. Food Manufacturing Firms: Are Firms Too Inflexible?
We analyse the flexibility decision of firms in a two-stage duopoly game of complete information and test the models implications using panel data of U.S. food industries. We find a positive relationship between flexibility and market power. Flexibility in food manufacturing industries is significantly higher than in all other industries.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- NORMAN, George & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1996.
"Technology choice and market structure : strategic aspects of flexible manufacturing,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1996059, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Norman, George & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1999. "Technology Choice and Market Structure: Strategic Aspects of Flexible Manufacturing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 345-72, September.
- George Norman & Jacques-François Thisse, 1998. "Technology Choice and Market Structure: Strategic Aspects of Flexible Manufacturing," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 9808, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Weiss, Christoph R., 2001. "On flexibility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 347-356, November.
- Roeger, Werner, 1995. "Can Imperfect Competition Explain the Difference between Primal and Dual Productivity Measures? Estimates for U.S. Manufacturing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(2), pages 316-30, April.
- Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Tombak, Mihkel M, 1990. "Strategic Choice of Flexible Production Technologies and Welfare Implications," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 417-31, June.
- Vives, Xavier, 1986. "Commitment, flexibility and market outcomes," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 217-229, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea01:20596. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.