Stock Pyramids, Cross-Ownership, and Dual Class Equity: The Mechanisms and Agency Costs of Separating Control from Cash-Flow Rights
In: Concentrated Corporate Ownership
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Lehn, Kenneth & Netter, Jeffry & Poulsen, Annette, 1990. "Consolidating corporate control*1: Dual-class recapitalizations versus leveraged buyouts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 557-580, October.
- Jarrell, Gregg A. & Poulsen, Annette B., 1988. "Dual-class recapitalizations as antitakeover mechanisms : The recent evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 129-152, January.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Holderness, Clifford G. & Pontiff, Jeffrey, 1993.
"Private benefits from block ownership and discounts on closed-end funds,"
Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 263-291, June.
- Barclay, M.J. & Holderness, C.G. & Pontiff, J., 1991. "Private Benefits form Block Ownership and Discounts on Closed-end Funds," Papers 91-01, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda, 1985. "Managerial ownership of voting rights : A study of public corporations with dual classes of common stock," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 33-69, March.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Ehrhardt, Olaf & Nowak, Eric, 2001. "Private benefits and minority shareholder expropriation: Empirical evidence from IPOs of German family-owned firms," CFS Working Paper Series 2001/10, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Jean-Jacques Hamon, 2001. "La répartition des droits de vote, leur exercice et l’efficacité économique," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 63(3), pages 175-209.
- Amoako-Adu, Ben & Smith, Brian F., 2001. "Dual class firms: Capitalization, ownership structure and recapitalization back into single class," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1083-1111, June.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/9321 is not listed on IDEAS
- Odegaard, Bernt Arne, 2007. "Price differences between equity classes. Corporate control, foreign ownership or liquidity?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3621-3645, December.
- Dimitrov, Valentin & Jain, Prem C., 2006. "Recapitalization of one class of common stock into dual-class: Growth and long-run stock returns," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 342-366, January.
- Hu, Henry T.C. & Black, Bernard, 2007. "Hedge funds, insiders, and the decoupling of economic and voting ownership: Empty voting and hidden (morphable) ownership," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 343-367, June.
- Robert C. Hanson & Moon H. Song, 1995. "Managerial Ownership Change And Firm Value: Evidence From Dual-Class Recapitalizations And Insider Trading," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 18(3), pages 281-297, September.
- Arugaslan, Onur & Cook, Douglas O. & Kieschnick, Robert, 2010. "On the decision to go public with dual class stock," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 170-181, April.
- Howell, Jason W., 2017. "The survival of the U.S. dual class share structure," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 440-450.
- Thomas O'Connor & Thomas Flavin, 2013.
"The Effects of Ownership Structure on Corporate Financing Decisions: Evidence from Stock Market Liberalization,"
International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 383-405, September.
- Thomas Flavin & Thomas O'Connor, 2013. "The effects of ownership structure on corporate financing decisions: Evidence from stock market liberalization," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n235-13.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Armando Gomes, "undated".
"Going Public with Asymmetric Information, Agency Costs, and Dynamic Trading,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
04-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Armando Gomes, "undated". "Going Public with Asymmetric Information, Agency Costs and Dynamic Trading," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 09-97, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Armando Gomes, "undated". "Going Public with Asymmetric Information, Agency Costs, and Dynamic Trading," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 4-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Li, Xiaodan & Jiao, Yang & Yu, Min-Teh & Zhao, Yang, 2019. "Founders and the decision of Chinese dual-class IPOs in the U.S," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 57(C).
- Weber, Joseph & Joos, Peter & Balachandran, Sudhakar, 2004. "Do Voting Rights Matter: Evidence From the Adoption of Equity-based Compensation Plans," Working papers 4442-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Betzer, André & van den Bongard, Inga & Goergen, Marc, 2017.
"Index membership vs. loss of voting power: The unification of dual-class shares,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 140-153.
- André Betzer & Inga van den Bongard & Marc Goergen, 2017. "Index Membership vs. Loss of Voting Power: The Unification of Dual-Class Shares," Schumpeter Discussion Papers SDP16008, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Ling T. He & K. Michael Casey, 2011. "On The Pricing Of Dual Class Stocks: Evidence From Berkshire Hathaway," The International Journal of Business and Finance Research, The Institute for Business and Finance Research, vol. 5(1), pages 103-112.
- Riccardo Ferretti & Pierpaolo Pattitoni & Alex Castelli, 2019.
"Security-voting structure and equity financing in the banking sector: ‘one head-one vote’ versus ‘one share-one vote’,"
Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 23(4), pages 1063-1097, December.
- Riccardo Ferretti & Pierpaolo Pattitoni & Alex Castelli, 2019. "Security-voting structure and equity financing in the Banking Sector: ‘One Head-One Vote’ versus ‘One Share-One Vote’," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 0074, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Bauguess, Scott W. & Slovin, Myron B. & Sushka, Marie E., 2012. "Large shareholder diversification, corporate risk taking, and the benefits of changing to differential voting rights," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1244-1253.
- Baran, Lindsay & Forst, Arno, 2015. "Disproportionate insider control and board of director characteristics," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 62-80.
- Li, Ting & Zaiats, Nataliya, 2017. "Information environment and earnings management of dual class firms around the world," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 1-23.
- Francis, Jennifer & Schipper, Katherine & Vincent, Linda, 2005. "Earnings and dividend informativeness when cash flow rights are separated from voting rights," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 329-360, June.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:9013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.