Housing Policy, Mortgage Policy, and the Federal Housing Administration
In: Measuring and Managing Federal Financial Risk
This paper provides a survey of federal housing programs, establishing the primary importance of indirect and off-budget activities in promoting housing and providing subsidies to housing consumers. We consider the role of the Government Sponsored Enterprises (GSEs) and the Veteransâ€™â€™ Administration in supplying liquidity and credit guarantees. We then consider in more detail the role of the FHA as supplier and guarantor of credit. We especially focus on the rationale for these activities in the light of the rise and subsequent collapse of the subprime mortgage market. We suggest that a reinvigorated FHA mortgage program will be highly useful in its own right and might be the appropriate agency to assume many of the activities currently undertaken by the GSEs.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number
3040.||Handle:|| RePEc:nbr:nberch:3040||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomasz Piskorski & Alexei Tchistyi, 2010. "Optimal Mortgage Design," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(8), pages 3098-3140, August.
- Deborah Lucas & Robert McDonald, 2010. "Valuing Government Guarantees: Fannie and Freddie Revisited," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring and Managing Federal Financial Risk, pages 131-154 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giang Ho & Anthony Pennington-Cross, 2006.
"The impact of local predatory lending laws on the flow of subprime credit,"
2006-009, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Ho, Giang & Pennington-Cross, Anthony, 2006. "The impact of local predatory lending laws on the flow of subprime credit," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 210-228, September.
- Kerry D. Vandell, 1995. "FHA Restructuring Proposals: Alternatives and Implications," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 95-09, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Alexei Tchistyi & Tomasz Piskorski, 2007. "Optimal Mortgage Design," 2007 Meeting Papers 537, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Quigley, John M., 2006.
"Federal Credit and Insurance Programs: Housing,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt41d5k3bd, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Ambrose, Brent W. & Pennington-Cross, Anthony, 2000. "Local economic risk factors and the primary and secondary mortgage markets," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 683-701, December.
- Jaffee, Dwight M. & Quigley, John M., 2009. "The Government Sponsored Enterprises: Recovering From a Failed Experiment," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt8v17v5vz, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Richard K. Green & Susan M. Wachter, 2005.
"The American Mortgage in Historical and International Context,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 93-114, Fall.
- Richard K. Green & Susan M. Wachter, 2005. "The American Mortgage in Historical and International Context," Working Paper 9094, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Cass R. Sunstein & Richard H. Thaler, 2003. "Libertarian paternalism is not an oxymoron," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 48(Jun).
- Ambrose, Brent W. & Pennington-Cross, Anthony & Yezer, Anthony M., 2002. "Credit Rationing in the U.S. Mortgage Market: Evidence from Variation in FHA Market Shares," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 272-294, March.
- repec:reg:rpubli:396 is not listed on IDEAS
- Quigley John M., 2008. "Compensation and Incentives in the Mortgage Business," The Economists' Voice, De Gruyter, vol. 5(6), pages 1-3, October.
- Wayne Passmore & Shane M. Sherlund & Gillian Burgess, 2005.
"The Effect of Housing Government-Sponsored Enterprises on Mortgage Rates,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 427-463, 09.
- Wayne Passmore & Shane M. Sherlund & Gillian Burgess, 2005. "The effect of housing government-sponsored enterprises on mortgage rates," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-06, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:3040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.