Extent and Efficacy of Monetary Sterilisation in the SEACEN Countries
This study looks into the impact of capital flows that have been prevalent in some SEACEN countries prior to the recent financial crisis and examines the effectiveness of monetary sterilisation. Empirical findings suggest that monetary sterilisation is the most important policy response in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand. Evidence also indicates that open market operations (OMO) as a form of monetary sterilisation has limits and while capital controls may be effective in certain circumstances, such an option should only be temporary and implemented as a last resort.
|This book is provided by South East Asian Central Banks (SEACEN) Research and Training Centre in its series Research Studies with number rp40 and published in 1999.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Level 5, Sasana Kijang, Bank Negara Malaysia, 2 Jalan Dato? Onn, 50480 Kuala Lumpur|
Phone: 603-9195 1888
Fax: 603-9195 1801
Web page: http://edirc.repec.org/data/seacemy.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1996.
"Inflows of capital to developing countries in the 1990s,"
13707, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "Inflows of Capital to Developing Countries in the 1990s," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 123-139, Spring.
- Goldstein, Morris, 1995. "Coping with too much of a good thing : policy responses for large capital inflows in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1507, The World Bank.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1994.
"The Capital Inflows Problem: Concepts And Issues,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(3), pages 54-66, 07.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1994. "The capital inflows problem: Concepts and issues," MPRA Paper 13902, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1993.
"El problema de la afluencia de capital: Conceptos y temas
[The Capital Inflows Problem: Concepts and Issues]," MPRA Paper 13682, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Khan, Mohsin S & Mathieson, Donald J, 1996. "The Implications of International Capital Flows for Macroeconomic and Financial Policies," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(3), pages 155-160, July.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995.
"The Mirage of Fixed Exchange Rates,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 73-96, Fall.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995. "The Mirage of Fixed Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 5191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995. "The mirage of fixed exchange rates," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 95-08, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Delano Villanueva, 1997.
"Exports and Economic Development,"
South East Asian Central Banks (SEACEN) Research and Training Centre, number sp58.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 1991. "The Perils of Sterilization," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 921-926, December.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Hernandez, Leonardo, 1996. "Macroeconomic Adjustment to Capital Inflows: Lessons from Recent Latin American and East Asian Experience," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 61-85, February.
- Taylor, Mark P & Sarno, Lucio, 1997. "Capital Flows to Developing Countries: Long- and Short-Term Determinants," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(3), pages 451-470, September.
- McKinnon, Ronald I & Pill, Huw, 1997. "Credible Economic Liberalizations and Overborrowing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 189-193, May.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Mohamed A. El-Erian, 1992. "Restoration of Access to Voluntary Capital Market Financing: The Recent Latin American Experience," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(1), pages 175-194, March.
- Charles S. Morris & Klara Parrish, 1997. "Maintaining financial stability in a global economy : a summary of the Bank's 1997 Symposium," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q IV, pages 23-35.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sea:rstudy:rp40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yunyee)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.