A Long-Run Structural Macroeconometric Model for Germany: An Empirical Note
To provide an modelling strategy with transparent and theoretically coherent foundation has been one of the targets of the paper by Garratt, Lee, Pesaran and Shin. They develop a core model for a small open economy based production technology, arbitrage conditions, flow identities and long-run solvency conditions. This leads to five long-run relations: the uncovered interest rate parity, the purchasing power parity, production function, trade balance and real money balance. Since the economic theory there is formulated generally but not restricted to the economy of UK for which their empirical model is implemented, we expect that this modelling strategy should be able to generate similar results for the data of other countries. In this empirical note we apply the modelling strategy to German data to see in how far the economic theory formulated there can account for German data. We are able to identify five cointegration relations in a conditional vector error correction model and the overidentification restrictions of the five cointegration relations as, UIP, PPP, production function, trade balance and real money balance are not rejected by the data.
Volume (Year): 2 (2008)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert G. King & Charles I. Plosser & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1987.
"Stochastic Trends and Economic Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
2229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordi Galí, 1992. "How Well Does The IS-LM Model Fit Postwar U. S. Data?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 709-738.
- Garratt, Anthony & Lee, Kevin C & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"A Structural Cointegrating VAR Approach to Macroeconometric Modelling,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9823, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Anthony Garratt & Kevin Lee & Mohammad Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin, 1998. "A structural cointegrating VAR approach to macroeconometric modelling," ESE Discussion Papers 8, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- William J. Crowder & Dennis L. Hoffman & Robert H. Rasche, 1999. "Identification, Long-Run Relations, and Fundamental Innovations in a Simple Cointegrated System," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(1), pages 109-121, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifweej:7287. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.