Stability and Change in Affective Experience Across the Adult Life Span: Analyses With a National Sample From Germany
Using cross-sectional and longitudinal data from a national sample spanning the adult life span, age differences in anger and sadness were explored. The cross-sectional and longitudinal findings consistently suggest that the frequency of anger increases during young adulthood, but then shows a steady decrease until old age. By contrast, the frequency of sadness remains stable over most of adulthood and begins to increase in old age. In addition, the effects of age on happiness were investigated; the cross-sectional evidence speaks for a steady decrease in happiness across age groups, but within-person decline in happiness was only evident in old age. Together the findings provide further evidence for multidirectional age differences in affective experience and suggest that the overall quality of affective experience may deteriorate in old age.
Volume (Year): (2013-12)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Düsternbrooker Weg 120, 24105 Kiel / Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814-520
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kira S. Birditt & Karen L. Fingerman, 2005. "Do We Get Better at Picking Our Battles? Age Group Differences in Descriptions of Behavioral Reactions to Interpersonal Tensions," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 60(3), pages P121-P128.
- Fredda Blanchard-Fields & Andrew Mienaltowski & Renee Baldi Seay, 2007. "Age Differences in Everyday Problem-Solving Effectiveness: Older Adults Select More Effective Strategies for Interpersonal Problems," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 62(1), pages P61-P64.
- Albert Satorra & Peter Bentler, 2001.
"A scaled difference chi-square test statistic for moment structure analysis,"
Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 507-514, December.
- Albert Satorra & Peter M. Bentler, 1999. "A scaled difference chi-square test statistic for moment structure analysis," Economics Working Papers 412, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jule Specht & Boris Egloff & Stefan C. Schmukle, 2011. "Stability and Change of Personality across the Life Course: The Impact of Age and Major Life Events on Mean-Level and Rank-Order Stability of the Big Five," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 377, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:espost:93010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.