Microfinance asymmetric information problems in Cameroon
In recent financial liberalisation debates, increasing attention has been paid to the role of financial intermediation on the economy. Little research addressing the behaviour of bank lending interest rates under a financial liberalisation system has been articulated. This paper, therefore, draws a parallel between a completely liberalised microfinance and independent banks under financial liberalisation to indicate that in the presence of imperfect information there is a high probability of banks exhibiting a monopolistic behaviour. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 21 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Ioannis Tokatlidis, 2003.
"Financial Liberalisation: The African Experience,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(Supplemen), pages 53-88, September.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Tokatlidis, Ioannis, 2000. "Financial Liberalization: The African Experience," MPRA Paper 13423, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Tokatlidis, Ioannis, 2005. "Before and After Financial Liberalization," MPRA Paper 6986, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Philip Arestis & Santonu Basu, 2003.
"Financial Globalization and Regulation,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_397, Levy Economics Institute.
- Kaushik Basu, 2003. "Analytical Development Economics: The Less Developed Economy Revisited," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262523442.
- Taskin, Fatma & Muradoglu, Gulnur, 2003. "Financial liberalisation: from segmented to integrated economies," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(5-6), pages 529-555.
- Steel, William F. & Aryeetey, Ernest & Hettige, Hemamala & Nissanke, Machiko, 1997. "Informal financial markets under liberalization in four African countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 817-830, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:21:y:2009:i:5:p:633-648. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.