Health knowledge and smoking among South African women
While several studies of developed countries have attempted to understand individual smoking using economic models, no such studies have been conducted in South Africa. The purpose of this paper is to identify which factors influence individual South African women's choice to smoke cigarettes and their knowledge of the health risks of smoking. To allow for the implied correlation between the unobservable components of the reduced form equations for these health inputs the model is estimated as a bivariate probit. In order to identify those women who are most at risk of becoming smokers and those who are most likely to benefit from health education, the results show how the probability of being an uninformed non-smoker or an uninformed smoker vary across different socio-economic groups. Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 8 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew M. Jones, 2012.
The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics,
- Jones, Andrew M., 2000. "Health econometrics," Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 265-344 Elsevier.
- Jones, Andrew M., 1994. "Health, addiction, social interaction and the decision to quit smoking," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 93-110, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)