Willingness-to-pay for a statistical life in the times of a pandemic
A contingent valuation was performed based on cross-sectional web-based interviews of individuals aged 16-82 years of age presenting a scenario of influenza pandemic. The mean WTP for a course of Tamiflu was NOK 1034 (median NOK 250). Anxious individuals perceived the pandemic mortality risk to be higher than others, but also perceived the benefit of Tamiflu as greater. They also expressed a higher WTP for Tamiflu, but the implied VOSL was less than for other respondents. The results suggest that fear and anxiety distort decision making under uncertainty and decrease focus on the perceived risk reduction. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zeckhauser, Richard J, 1996. "The Economics of Catastrophes," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 12(2-3), pages 113-140, May.
- Han Bleichrodt & Louis Eeckhoudt, 2006.
"Willingness to pay for reductions in health risks when probabilities are distorted,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 211-214.
- H. Bleichrodt & L. Eeckhoudt, 2005. "Willingness to pay for reductions in health risks when probabilities are distorted," Post-Print hal-00199641, HAL.
- Viscusi, W Kip & Aldy, Joseph E, 2003. "The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 5-76, August.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joseph E. Aldy, 2003. "The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World," NBER Working Papers 9487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sunstein, Cass R, 1997. "Bad Deaths," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 259-282, May-June.
- W. Kip Viscusi, 1990. "Social Insurance for Work and Product Injuries*," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 15(2), pages 115-139, September.
- repec:reg:rpubli:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bateman, Ian J. & Brouwer, Roy, 2006. "Consistency and construction in stated WTP for health risk reductions: A novel scope-sensitivity test," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 199-214, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:17:y:2008:i:1:p:55-66. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.