Is stabilization of potato price effective? Empirical evidence from the Idaho Russet Burbank potato market
High fresh potato price volatility, decreasing demand for fresh potatoes, and potato prices below the cost of production led to a decision of a group of Idaho potato growers to organize the United Potato Growers of Idaho, a marketing cooperative. The potato supply management program was developed to coordinate production and marketing of fresh potatoes. To evaluate the effectiveness of this program, the authors examine the level and volatility of Idaho Russet Burbank weekly shipping point prices during two periods: before the cooperative was organized and when the cooperative was in the market. They found empirical evidence suggesting that the analyzed prices were higher and less volatile during the period when the cooperative was in the market. © 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 26 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John M. Connor, 2004.
"Collusion And Price Dispersion,"
04-14, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Bolotova, Yuliya & Connor, John M. & Miller, Douglas J., 2005.
"The Impact of Collusion on Price Behavior: Empirical Results from Two Recent Cases,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19164, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bolotova, Yuliya & Connor, John M. & Miller, Douglas J., 2008. "The impact of collusion on price behavior: Empirical results from two recent cases," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1290-1307, November.
- Susan Athey & Kyle Bagwell & Chris Sanchirico, 2004.
"Collusion and Price Rigidity,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 71(2), pages 317-349.
- Kyle Bagwell, 2004. "Collusion and Price Rigidity," Theory workshop papers 658612000000000081, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Susan Athey & Kyle Bagwell & Chris Sanchirico, 1998. "Collusion and Price Rigidity," Working papers 98-23, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Harrington, Joseph Jr. & Chen, Joe, 2006.
"Cartel pricing dynamics with cost variability and endogenous buyer detection,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1185-1212, November.
- Joseph E Harrington Jr & Joe Chen, 2002. "Cartel Pricing Dynamics with Cost Variability and Endogenous Buyer Detection," Economics Working Paper Archive 514, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics, revised Sep 2004.
- Joseph E. Harrington, Jr. & Joe Chen, 2005. "Cartel Pricing Dynamics with Cost Variability and Endogenous Buyer Detection," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-359, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Bolotova, Yuliya & McIntosh, Christopher S. & Muthusamy, Kalamani & Patterson, Paul E., 2008. "The Impact of Coordination of Production and Marketing Strategies on Price Behavior: Evidence from the Idaho Potato Industry," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 11(3).
- Abrantes-Metz, Rosa M. & Froeb, Luke M. & Geweke, John & Taylor, Christopher T., 2006. "A variance screen for collusion," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 467-486, May.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:26:y:2010:i:2:p:177-201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.