Looking beyond the Euro Area Sovereign Debt Crisis
Three years into the euro area sovereign debt crisis, investors continue to shun periphery government bonds, European banks are under severe funding pressures in both the dollar and euro private term markets, and the euro area is facing an anemic growth outlook. On the face of it, the scenario portends gloom. But upon closer examination of the inner workings of the European Union (EU) governance system, the ongoing adjustment in the banking sector, and the rewiring of the landscape of euro sovereign debt markets, the future scenario looks more balanced, particularly following the conclusion of the protracted negotiations on Greek bond exchanges under an EU-backed voluntary private sector involvement (PSI) scheme. As euro area leaders formulate significant structural reforms to deal with the continent’s longstanding fiscal and governance shortcomings, this note argues that striking a balance between market discipline and centralized rule-making is the best way forward.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 76 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2009.
"Bank activity and funding strategies : the impact on risk and returns,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4837, The World Bank.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2010. "Bank activity and funding strategies: The impact on risk and returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 626-650, December.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2009. "Bank Activity and Funding Strategies: The Impact on Risk and Return," CEPR Discussion Papers 7170, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Huizinga, H.P., 2009. "Bank Activity and Funding Strategies : The Impact on Risk and Return," Discussion Paper 2009-09, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dailami, Mansoor, 2010. "Sovereign debt distress and corporate spillover impacts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5380, The World Bank.
- Charles Wyplosz, 2006. "European Monetary Union: the dark sides of a major success," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(46), pages 207-261, 04.
- Andreas Follesdal & Simon Hix, 2006. "Why There is a Democratic Deficit in the EU: A Response to Majone and Moravcsik," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 533-562, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:prmecp:ep76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Jelenic)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.