Deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon: Comparing the Impacts of Macroeconomic Shocks, Land Tenure, and Technological Change
The paper examines the current relevance of the set of variables reported in the literature as driving deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon. The analysis uses a computable general equilibrium (CGE)model adapted to capture regional economic structures and the environmental processes specific to tropical areas. The paper compares the impact on deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon of: changes in real exchange rate; modifications in agricultural tax and support policies; reductions in transportation costs arising from investment in infrastructure in the Amazon; changes in land tenure regimes; and technological change in agriculture affecting productivity and agronomic sustainability.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee J. Alston & Gary D. Libecap & Robert Schneider, 1996.
"The Determinants and Impact of Property Rights: Land Titles on the Brazilian Frontier,"
NBER Working Papers
5405, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alston, Lee J & Libecap, Gary D & Schneider, Robert, 1996. "The Determinants and Impact of Property Rights: Land Titles on the Brazilian Frontier," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 25-61, April.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Persson, Annika & Munasinghe, Mohan, 1995. "Natural Resource Management and Economywide Policies in Costa Rica: A Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) Modeling Approach," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 9(2), pages 259-85, May.
- Binswanger, Hans P., 1991. "Brazilian policies that encourage deforestation in the Amazon," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 821-829, July.
- Mendelsohn, Robert, 1994. "Property Rights and Tropical Deforestation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 750-56, Supplemen.
- van Loock, Harry J. & Hafley, William L. & King, Richard A., 1973. "Estimation Of Agriculture-Forestry Transition Matrices From Aerial Photographs," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 5(02), December.
- Stone, Steven W., 1998. "Evolution of the Timber Industry Along an Aging Frontier: The Case of Paragominas (1990-1995)," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 433-448, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:77:y:2001:i:2:p:219-240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.