Job Search, Search Intensity, and Labor Market Transitions: An Empirical Analysis
In this paper we present an empirical structural job search model with endogenously determined search intensity. The model describes both the behaviour of unemployed job seekers and on-the-job search. We use data on various indicators for the intensity of search to study the influence of the intensity of search on labour market transitions. The estimation results give us insight in the effectiveness of search. The impact of the benefit level on the search intensity of unemployed job seekers is quantified. Moreover, the estimation results are used to gain insight in the ‘discouraged worker’ effect.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van den Berg, Gerard J & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2001.
"Counselling and Monitoring of Unemployed Workers: Theory and Evidence from a Controlled Social Experiment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2986, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gerard J. van den Berg & Bas van der Klaauw, 2006. "Counseling And Monitoring Of Unemployed Workers: Theory And Evidence From A Controlled Social Experiment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(3), pages 895-936, 08.
- van den Bergh, Gerhard & van deer Klaauw, Bas, 2001. "Counseling and monitoring of unemployed workers: theory and evidence from a controlled social experiment," Working Paper Series 2001:12, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- van den Berg, Gerard J. & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2001. "Counseling and Monitoring of Unemployed Workers: Theory and Evidence from a Controlled Social Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 374, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Borsch-Supan, Axel & Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A., 1993.
"Smooth unbiased multivariate probability simulators for maximum likelihood estimation of limited dependent variable models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 347-368, August.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Axel Borsch-Supan, 1990. "Smooth Unbiased Multivariate Probability Simulators for Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Limited Dependent Variable Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 960, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Mortensen, Dale T. & Vishwanath, Tara, 1994.
"Personal contacts and earnings : It is who you know!,"
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 187-201, March.
- Mortensen, D. T. & Vishwanath, T., 1995. "Personal contacts and earnings: It is who you know!," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 103-104, March.
- Yoon, Bong Joon, 1981. "A Model of Unemployment Duration with Variable Search Intensity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 599-609, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:jhriss:v:40:y:2005:i:1:p232-269. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.