Professional capacity index modelling of university professors by quantile regression: Case of the Universidad de Los Andes
This study uses quantile regression to analyze the factors affecting the Professional Capacity Index and the Institutional Academic Risk based on data from the University of Los Andes (Mérida, Venezuela). Empirical results show that the effects of the covariables considered vary upon the specified quantiles. The main factors affecting the Institutional Academic Risk are the condition of being retired, the category or rank, and the level of education of the professor. It is even possible to measure the magnitude of the reduction of the ICP given the characteristics of the professor who is about to retire. It is necessary to promote programs that allow such an Index to increase as well as to reduce the risk of a progressive loss of highly qualified human capital.
Volume (Year): 35 (2010)
Issue (Month): 29 (January-june)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +58 74 401111 ext. 1081
Fax: +58 74 401120
Web page: http://iies.faces.ula.ve/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521608275 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Moshe Buchinsky, 1998. "Recent Advances in Quantile Regression Models: A Practical Guideline for Empirical Research," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 88-126.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ula:econom:v:35:y:2010:i:29:p:209-225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexis Vásquez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.