Arbitrator Behavior and the Variances of Arbitrated and Negotiated Wage Settlements
The variance of arbitrated wage settlements is significantly lower than the variance of negotiated wage settlements in a sample of teachers' contracts, even when possible selection of contracts into arbitration is accounted for. This result is consistent with the hypothesis that arbitrated settlements do not incorporate all of the information that is reflected in negotiated settlements. Copyright 1994 by University of Chicago Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Crawford, Vincent P, 1981. "Arbitration and Conflict Resolution in Labor-Management Bargaining," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 205-210, May.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Craig A. Olson & Barbara Rau, 1991. "Negotiated Settlements and Learning From the Arbitration Experience," Working Papers 665, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- repec:fth:prinin:285 is not listed on IDEAS
- Currie, Janet & McConnell, Sheena, 1991. "Collective Bargaining in the Public Sector: The Effect of Legal Structure on Dispute Costs and Wages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 693-718, September.
- Janet Currie, 1989. "Who Uses Interest Arbitration? The Case of British Columbia's Teachers, 1947â€“1981," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 42(3), pages 363-379, April.
- repec:pri:indrel:dsp01h415p954f is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jlabec:v:12:y:1994:i:1:p:29-40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.