The Objective Function Of Simulation Estimators Near The Boundary Of The Unstable Region Of The Parameter Space
The paper examines the role of stability constraints in estimation by dynamic simulation. In particular, it analyzes the behavior of the objective function on either side of the boundary of the stability region of the parameter space. The main finding is that stability constraints may be ignored because the simulation-based objective function contains a built-in penalty to enforce stability. A key caveat, however, is that the dynamic stability of the auxiliary model that defines the moment conditions must be checked and enforced. An attempt to fit via simulation to moments defined by a dynamically unstable auxiliary model can be expected to lead to an ill-behaved objective function. © 1998 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Volume (Year): 80 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00346535|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bansal, Ravi & Gallant, A. Ronald & Hussey, Robert & Tauchen, George, 1995. "Nonparametric estimation of structural models for high-frequency currency market data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 251-287.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1995. "Can Speculative Trading Explain the Volume-Volatility Relation?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(4), pages 379-96, October.
- Laroque, Guy & Salanie, Bernard, 1989. "Estimation of Multi-market Fix-Price Models: An Application of Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 831-60, July.
- Abadir, Karim M., 1993. "On the Asymptotic Power of Unit Root Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 189-221, April.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1993.
"Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 929-52, July.
- Darrell Duffie & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1990. "Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices," NBER Technical Working Papers 0087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, Bong-Soo & Ingram, Beth Fisher, 1991. "Simulation estimation of time-series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 197-205, February.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Tauchen, George E. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1995.
"Estimation of Continuous Time Models for Stock Returns and Interest Rates,"
95-53, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1997. "Estimation Of Continuous-Time Models For Stock Returns And Interest Rates," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 135-168, January.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsieh, David & Tauchen, George, 1997.
"Estimation of stochastic volatility models with diagnostics,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 159-192, November.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsieh, David & Tauchen, George, 1995. "Estimation of Stochastic Volatility Models with Diagnostics," Working Papers 95-36, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Torben G. Andersen & Bent E. Sorensen, 1995.
"GMM Estimation of a Stochastic Volatility Model: A Monte Carlo Study,"
95-19, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Andersen, Torben G & Sorensen, Bent E, 1996. "GMM Estimation of a Stochastic Volatility Model: A Monte Carlo Study," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 328-52, July.
- Torben G. Andersen & Hyung-Jin Chung & Bent E. Sorensen, . "EMM Estimation of a Stochastic Volatility Model: A Monte Carlo Study," Computing in Economics and Finance 1997 6, Society for Computational Economics.
- Smith, A A, Jr, 1993. "Estimating Nonlinear Time-Series Models Using Simulated Vector Autoregressions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S63-84, Suppl. De.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:restat:v:80:y:1998:i:3:p:389-398. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristin Waites)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.