Modeling the Turkish Broad Money Demand
This paper analyzes broad money demand in Turkey between 1987 and 2001, a period characterized by a process of financial sector liberalization, implemented using various structural reforms and deregulations. It presents the historical background and the pace of liberalization, accompanied by a discussion on main economic indicators. It gives a brief summary on theory for the analysis of money demand and constructs an error correction model for M2X using quarterly data, where the long run relationship is established using real income, interest rate on deposits, interest rate on government securities, inflation rate and real exchange rate. The results show that, both exchange rate and inflation rate have substantial impact on the Turkish broad money demand.
Volume (Year): 2 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Claude Nachega, 2001. "A Cointegration Analysis of Broad Money Demand in Cameroon," IMF Working Papers 01/26, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Neil R. Ericsson & Sunil Sharma, 1996.
"Broad money demand and financial liberalization in Greece,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
559, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sunil Sharma & Neil R. Ericsson, 1998. "Broad money demand and financial liberalization in Greece," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 417-436.
- Sunil Sharma & Neil R. Ericsson, 1996. "Broad Money Demand and Financial Liberalization in Greece," IMF Working Papers 96/62, International Monetary Fund.
- Irfan Civcir, 2003. "Money demand, financial liberalization and currency substitution in Turkey," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(5), pages 514-534, October.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Hatanaka, Michio, 1996. "Time-Series-Based Econometrics: Unit Roots and Co-integrations," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773535.
- Oguz Atuk & Beyza Pinar Ural, 2002. "Seasonal Adjustment Methods : An Application to the Turkish Monetary Aggregates," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 2(1), pages 21-37.
- Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. (ed.), 1991. "Long-Run Economic Relationships: Readings in Cointegration," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283393.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992.
"Testing weak exogeneity and the order of cointegration in UK money demand data,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 313-334, June.
- Johansen, S., 1991. "Testing Weak Exogeneity and the Order of Cointegration in UK Money Demand Data," Papers 78, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F. & Yoo, Byung Sam, 1987. "Forecasting and testing in co-integrated systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 143-159, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcb:cebare:v:2:y:2002:i:2:p:55-75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()or () or ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.