Is the Leverage of Turkish Banks Procyclical?
This study examines the relation between leverage and asset growth in the Turkish banking sector, and finds that there is a statistically significant positive relationship between these two variables. This result indicates that the leverage ratio increases when there is positive asset growth, hence the leverage is procyclical. In addition, this relationship differs according to the business models of the banks. Procyclicality of the leverage indicates that expansion and contraction of bank balance sheets accelerate credit cycles implying that bank leverage and business cycles are related. Consistent with the predictions in the corporate finance literature, we find that balance sheet size and profits significantly affect the leverage. To decompose leverage, we also document that banks use non-deposits and deposits as substitutes during our sample period, and the leverage cycles and balance sheet expansions are highly correlated with non-deposit and non-core liabilities. In this sense, it is useful to include the leverage ratio in the counter-cyclical macroprudential policy tools kit.
Volume (Year): 12 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara|
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sørensen, Bent E & Yesiltas, Sevcan, 2011.
"Leverage Across Firms, Banks and Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8549, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent Sorensen & Sevcan Yesiltas, 2011. "Leverage Across Firms, Banks and Countries," NBER Chapters, in: Global Financial Crisis National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sorensen, Bent & Yesiltas, Sevcan, 2012. "Leverage across firms, banks, and countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 284-298.
- H. Evren Damar & Césaire A. Meh & Yaz Terajima, 2010.
"Leverage, Balance Sheet Size and Wholesale Funding,"
Staff Working Papers
10-39, Bank of Canada.
- Damar, H. Evren & Meh, Césaire A. & Terajima, Yaz, 2013. "Leverage, balance-sheet size and wholesale funding," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 639-662.
- Reint Gropp & Florian Heider, 2010.
"The Determinants of Bank Capital Structure,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 14(4), pages 587-622.
- Fabio Panetta & Paolo Angelini & Ugo Albertazzi & Francesco Columba & Wanda Cornacchia & Antonio Di Cesare & Andrea Pilati & Carmelo Salleo & Giovanni Santini, 2009. "Financial sector pro-cyclicality: lessons from the crisis," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 44, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Hyun Song Shin & Kwanho Shin, 2011. "Procyclicality and Monetary Aggregates," NBER Working Papers 16836, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcb:cebare:v:12:y:2012:i:2:p:11-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()or () or ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.