Market delimitation, firm survival and growth in service industries
This article focuses on the effect of both firm survival and market delimitation on stochastic growth behaviour in the realm of service industries. Two samples of firms were selected for the study, one of them representing the surviving firm population in the tourism industry and the other one representing the firm total. The activity of firms was used for measuring the influence of market delimitation. Stochastic growth behaviour is found to hold for the sector as a whole, whereas it does not do so for the population of surviving firms. Market delimitation is also observed to influence growth behaviour, but only when combined with firm survival.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 30 (2008)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FSIJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/FSIJ20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fujiwara, Yoshi & Di Guilmi, Corrado & Aoyama, Hideaki & Gallegati, Mauro & Souma, Wataru, 2004.
"Do Pareto–Zipf and Gibrat laws hold true? An analysis with European firms,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 335(1), pages 197-216.
- Yoshi Fujiwara & Corrado Di Guilmi & Hideaki Aoyama & Mauro Gallegati & Wataru Souma, 2003. "Do Pareto-Zipf and Gibrat laws hold true? An analysis with European Firms," Papers cond-mat/0310061, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2003.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Jamet, Stephanie, 2004. "Irreversibility, uncertainty and growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1733-1756, July.
- Ishikawa, Atushi, 2006. "Pareto index induced from the scale of companies," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 363(2), pages 367-376.
- Orietta Marsili, 2005. "Technology and the Size Distribution of Firms: Evidence from Dutch Manufacturing," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 303-328, December.
- John Sutton, 1997. "Gibrat's Legacy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 40-59, March.
- Toke Reichstein & Morten Berg Jensen, 2005. "Firm size and firm growth rate distributions--The case of Denmark," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(6), pages 1145-1166, December.
- Reed, William J., 2001. "The Pareto, Zipf and other power laws," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 15-19, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:servic:v:30:y:2008:i:9:p:1401-1417. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.