An Endogenous Growth Model with Human and Social Capital Interactions
Social capital has recently been introduced in the economic literature as a source of economic growth. In this paper we study the interactions between social and human capital, and their contributions to economic growth in an endogenous growth model. The model indicates an increase in the relative importance of human capital when compared to social capital throughout the development process of the economy, as also described in some of the empirical literature on the topic. We derive theoretical and policy implications from our endogenous growth model, concluding that a subsidy for human capital has important implications for economic growth and allocation redistribution. A subsidy to social capital is not relevant for economic growth. Its only effect would be the increase in the social to human capital ratio of the economy.
Volume (Year): 69 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RRSE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RRSE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tamura, Robert, 2006.
"Human capital and economic development,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 26-72, February.
- Robert Tamura, 2002. "Human capital and economic development," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2002-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Robert Tamura, 2004. "Human capital and economic development," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2004-34, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Niclas Berggren & Mikael Elinder & Henrik Jordahl, 2008. "Trust and growth: a shaky relationship," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 251-274, September.
- Berggren, Niclas & Elinder, Mikael & Jordahl, Henrik, 2007. "Trust and Growth: A Shaky Relationship," Working Paper Series 705, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Alberto Bisin & Danilo Guaitoli, "undated". "Social Capital, Modernization and Growth," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 545.02, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Bartolini, Stefano & Bonatti, Luigi, 2007. "Endogenous growth, decline in social capital and expansion of market activities," MPRA Paper 3341, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Henri L.F. de Groot & Anton B.T.M. van Schaik, 2004. "Trust and economic growth: a robustness analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 118-134, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)