Keynes's multiplier in a two-sectoral framework
This paper endeavours to reinterpret one of the most fundamental concepts of macroeconomics: the Keynesian investment multiplier. The multiplier is not interpreted as a dynamic process (or quantity reaction of output) nor as a logical relation (or ratio) between income and investment expenditure, but as an equilibrium condition that prescribes the proportionality between the two 'departments' of the economy (the consumption-goods and the investment-goods sector) necessary for 'completely successful reproduction'. The Marxian concept of reproduction schemes is combined with Keynes's 'fundamental psychological law' (which states that the marginal propensity to consume is positive and less than unity) to derive this result. This 'structural' view of the multiplier is then used to analyse questions relating to economic growth, capital accumulation and structural change.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRPE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Randall Wray, 1999.
"Theories of Value and the Monetary Theory of Production,"
- L. Randall Wray, 1999. "Theories of Value and the Monetary Theory of Production," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_261, Levy Economics Institute.
- Louis-Philippe Rochon, 1999. "Credit, Money and Production," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1565.
- Lianos, Theodore P., 1979. "Domar's growth model and Marx's reproduction scheme," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 405-412.
- Pasinetti,Luigi, 1993. "Structural Economic Dynamics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521432825, December.
- Claude Gnos & Louis-Philippe Rochon, 2008. "The Keynesian Multiplier," Post-Print halshs-00314304, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:revpoe:v:16:y:2004:i:3:p:309-334. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.