A Reconsideration of the Theory of Entrepreneurship: A participatory approach
The aim of this paper is to further the understanding of the relationship between entrepreneurial success and organisational form. The role of entrepreneurship in the neoclassical, Austrian and competence theory approaches is analysed and five recurring themes are identified: the tacit nature of knowledge relevant for entrepreneurial activity; the presence of tacit knowledge at both the individual and organisational levels; the articulation of tacit knowledge through social processes; the distinction between the entrepreneur and the capitalist; and the motivation for engaging in entrepreneurial activity. Characteristics of the organisational context that emerge as necessary for entrepreneurial success are set out, an organisational framework promoting generalised participation in entrepreneurial activity is outlined and this is then evaluated in comparison with a capitalist system.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRPE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demsetz, Harold, 1997. "The Firm in Economic Theory: A Quiet Revolution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 426-29, May.
- Geoffrey M. Hodgson, 1998. "The Approach of Institutional Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 166-192, March.
- Hodgson, Geoffrey M., 1998. "Competence and contract in the theory of the firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 179-201, April.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Maskin, Eric, 1987. "The Simple Economics of Research Portfolios," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 581-95, September.
- Boettke, Peter J., 1995. "Why are There No Austrian Socialists? Ideology, Science and the Austrian School," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 35-56, March.
- Nicolai J. Foss, 1996.
"Capabilities and the Theory of the Firm,"
DRUID Working Papers
96-8, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Foss, Nicolai Juul, 1993. "Theories of the Firm: Contractual and Competence Perspectives," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 127-44, May.
- Teece, David J., 1996. "Firm organization, industrial structure, and technological innovation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 193-224, November.
- Brian J. Loasby, .
"The Organisation of Capabilities,"
Working Papers Series
96/6, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Simon, Herbert A, 1979.
"Rational Decision Making in Business Organizations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 493-513, September.
- Simon, Herbert A., 1978. "Rational Decision-Making in Business Organizations," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 1978-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Loasby, Brian J, 1982. "The Entrepreneur in Economic Theory," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 29(3), pages 0223, November.
- Khalil, Elias L, 1997. "Buridan's Ass, Risk, Uncertainty, and Self-Competition: A Theory of Entrepreneurship," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 147-63.
- Samuel Bowles, 1998. "Endogenous Preferences: The Cultural Consequences of Markets and Other Economic Institutions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 75-111, March.
- Ulrich Witt, 2006. "Evolutionary Economics," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2006-05, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Pelikan, Pavel, 1989. "Evolution, economic competence, and the market for corporate control," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 279-303, December.
- Israel M. Kirzner, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Discovery and the Competitive Market Process: An Austrian Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 60-85, March.
- Adaman, Fikret & Devine, Pat, 1996. "The Economic Calculation Debate: Lessons for Socialists," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(5), pages 523-37, September.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Eliasson, Gunnar, 1990. "The firm as a competent team," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 275-298, June.
- Foss, Nicolai Juul, 1994. " The Theory of the Firm: The Austrians as Precursors and Critics of Contemporary Theory," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 31-65.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Eliasson, Gunnar, 1988. "The Firm as a Competent Team," Working Paper Series 207, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised Feb 1990.
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1989.
"Transaction cost economics,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 135-182
- Steven Tadelis & Oliver E.Williamson, 2012.
"Transaction Cost Economics
[The Handbook of Organizational Economics]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Steven Tadelis & Oliver E.Williamson, 2012. "Transaction Cost Economics
- Witt, Ulrich, 1998. "Imagination and leadership - The neglected dimension of an evolutionary theory of the firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 161-177, April.
- Ioannides, Stavros, 1999. " Towards an Austrian Perspective on the Firm," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1-2), pages 77-97.
- Foss, Nicolai J, 1998. "The Competence-Based Approach: Veblenian Ideas in the Modern Theory of the Firm," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(4), pages 479-95, July.
- Minkler, Alanson P, 1993. "The Problem with Dispersed Knowledge: Firms in Theory and Practice," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 569-87.
- Kirzner, Israel M, 1999. " Creativity and/or Alertness: A Reconsideration of the Schumpeterian Entrepreneur," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1-2), pages 5-17.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:revpoe:v:14:y:2002:i:3:p:329-355. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.