Impact of Regional Selective Assistance on sources of productivity growth: Plant-level evidence from UK manufacturing, 1990-98
Harris R. and Robinson C. (2005) Impact of Regional Selective Assistance on sources of productivity growth: plant-level evidence from UK manufacturing, 1990-98, Regional Studies 39 , 751-765. Regional policy has been an enduring aspect of post-war industrial policy in the UK, based on a recognition of the need to reduce regional disparities in employment, earnings and the cost of living. Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) support schemes are designed to achieve a number of varying and occasionally conflicting objectives, but their overarching intention arguably must be to improve the economic performance of the plants they assist in order to increase productivity growth in the regions. Research into the sources of productivity growth has indicated that the entry and exit of plants plays a significant role, but also the reallocation of inputs from plants within the industry. This paper uses decomposition analysis to look at sources of total factor productivity growth for UK manufacturing plants, allowing for comparisons across regions, industries and between assisted and non-assisted plants, based on the Regional Selective Assistance scheme.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark E Doms, 1992.
"Estimating Capital Efficiency Schedules Within Production Functions,"
92-4, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Doms, Mark E, 1996. "Estimating Capital Efficiency Schedules within Production Functions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(1), pages 78-92, January.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003.
"Restructuring and productivity growth in uk manufacturing,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 666-694, 07.
- Disney, Richard F & Haskel, Jonathan & Heden, Ylva, 2000. "Restructuring And Productivity Growth In UK Manufacturing," CEPR Discussion Papers 2463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harvey Armstrong, 2001. "Regional Selective Assistance: Is the Spend Enough and Is It Targeting the Right Places?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 247-257.
- Kovenock, D. & Phillips, G.M., 1995.
"Capital Structure and Product Market Behavior: An Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
313.95, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Kovenock, Dan & Phillips, Gordon M, 1997. "Capital Structure and Product Market Behavior: An Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 767-803.
- Dan Kovenock & Gordon M Phillips, 1995. "Capital Structure and Product Market Behavior: An Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions," Working Papers 95-4, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- McGuckin, Robert H. & Nguyen, Sang V., 2001.
"The impact of ownership changes: a view from labor markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 739-762, April.
- Robert H McGuckin & Sang V Nguyen, 2000. "The Impact of Ownership Changes: A View from Labor Markets," Working Papers 00-02, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Girma, Sourafel & Wakelin, Katharine, 2001. "Regional Underdevelopment: Is FDI the Solution? A Semiparametric Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 2995, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harris, Richard D, 2002. "Foreign Ownership and Productivity in the United Kingdom--Some Issues When Using the ARD Establishment Level Data," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(3), pages 318-35, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:39:y:2005:i:6:p:751-765. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.