Parallel imports and the lot of a starving artist
This paper studies the role of copyright in the market for cultural output and how parallel imports effect the structure of incentives faced by artists. It demonstrates that parallel imports effect the distribution of income between generations of artists, raising the income of younger artists while reducing the income of superstars; the net outcome being a decline in the number of artists producing cultural output. Optimal subsidies to offset this decline can either involve a subsidy to starving young artists and no subsidy for superstars, or the opposite outcome depending on government attitudes towards the distribution of income.
Volume (Year): 15 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RJTE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RJTE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malueg, David A. & Schwartz, Marius, 1994.
"Parallel imports, demand dispersion, and international price discrimination,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3-4), pages 167-195, November.
- Malueg, D.A. & Schwartz, M., 1993. "Parallel Imports, Demand Dispersion and International Price Discrimination," Papers 93-6, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Keith E. Maskus, 2000. "Intellectual Property Rights in the Global Economy," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 99.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Yongmin Chen, 2000.
"Vertical price control and parallel imports - theory and evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2461, The World Bank.
- Keith E. Maskus & Yongmin Chen, 2004. "Vertical Price Control and Parallel Imports: Theory and Evidence," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 551-570, 09.
- MacDonald, Glenn M, 1988. "The Economics of Rising Stars," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 155-66, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jitecd:v:15:y:2006:i:1:p:49-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.