Population and income: Is there a puzzle?
This note presents wide evidence on the relationship between population and income for 125 countries for which data was available for the period 1950-2000. The main result is that there is a weak but negative relationship between population growth and per capita GDP, as income increases population expands at a slower rate. This relationship appears to be stronger for African countries and for Asian countries before 1970.
Volume (Year): 42 (2006)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/FJDS20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parkin, David & McGuire, Alistair & Yule, Brian, 1987. "Aggregate health care expenditures and national income : Is health care a luxury good?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 109-127, June.
- Thirlwall, A P, 1972.
"A Cross Section Study of Population Growth and the Growth of Output and Per Capita Income in a Production Function Framework,"
The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies,
University of Manchester, vol. 40(4), pages 339-356, December.
- Anthony P. Thirwall, 1972. "A Cross-Section Study of Population Growth and the Growth of Output and Per Capita Income in a Production Function Framework," Working Papers 406, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- P. J. Dawson & Richard Tiffin, 1998. "Is there a long-run relationship between population growth and living standards? The case of India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 149-156.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1988. "Mathematical Vindication of Ricardo on Machinery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 274-282, April.
- David N. Weil & Oded Galor, 1999. "From Malthusian Stagnation to Modern Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 150-154, May.
- Oded Galor and David N. Weil, 1998. "From Malthusian Stagnation to Modern Growth," Working Papers 98-26, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Galor, Oded & Weil, David, 1999. "From Malthusian Stagnation to Modern Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 2082, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lant Pritchett & Lawrence H. Summers, 1996. "Wealthier is Healthier," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 31(4), pages 841-868.
- Pritchett, Lant & Summers, Lawrence H., 1993. "Wealthier is healthier," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1150, The World Bank.
- John Thornton, 2001. "Population Growth and Economic Growth: Long-Run Evidence from Latin America," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 464-468, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)