Estimating Exchange Rate Exposure of Trade-intensive Firms: Application to Korean Oil-refiners and Petrochemicals
The purpose of this paper is to empirically investigate exchange rate exposure of Korean oil-refining and petrochemical firms whose profit structure highly depends on exchange rate changes. The primary finding is that about 50% out of the total sample firms is significantly exposed to exchange rate changes when the changes are sizable. In terms of exchange rate type, a bilateral rate between US dollar and Korean won is found to be more effective for estimating significant exposure of the Korean oil-refiners and petrochemicals rather than an industry-specific exchange rate index. In addition, using the Fama and French decomposition approach, this paper finds exposure sensitivity factors with results that conglomerate affiliation, number of employees, or business scope diversification significantly lowers degree of exposure.
Volume (Year): 39 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RGER20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RGER20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Linda L. Tesar, 2001.
"A Re-Examination of Exchange Rate Exposure,"
NBER Working Papers
8128, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Williamson, Rohan, 2001. "Exchange rate exposure and competition: evidence from the automotive industry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 441-475, March.
- Wong, Tak-Chuen & Wong, Jim & Leung, Phyllis, 2009. "The foreign exchange exposure of Chinese banks," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 174-182, June.
- Doidge, Craig & Griffin, John & Williamson, Rohan, 2006. "Measuring the economic importance of exchange rate exposure," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4-5), pages 550-576, October.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
- Bartov, Eli & Bodnar, Gordon M, 1994. " Firm Valuation, Earnings Expectations, and the Exchange-Rate Exposure Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1755-85, December.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Gentry, William M., 1993. "Exchange rate exposure and industry characteristics: evidence from Canada, Japan, and the USA," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-45, February.
- Ridwan Nasution & Ray H. Anderson & Sardar M.N. Islam, 2007. "An empirical analysis of the relationships between exchange rate exposure and company's retail pricing policies," International Journal of Monetary Economics and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 32-44.
- Kathryn M. E. Dominguez & Linda L. Tesar, 2001.
"Trade and Exposure,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 367-370, May.
- Marston, Richard C., 2001. "The effects of industry structure on economic exposure," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 149-164, April.
- Khoo, Andrew, 1994. "Estimation of foreign exchange exposure: an application to mining companies in Australia," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 342-363, June.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Sunghee Choi & Arthur T. Denzau, 2007. "Some Methodological Issues on Estimating Foreign Exchange Exposure of US Multinational Firms: Evidence from the Asian Crisis," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 217-227.
- Li, Donghui & Moshirian, Fariborz & Wee, Timothy & Wu, Eliza, 2009. "Foreign exchange exposure: Evidence from the U.S. insurance industry," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 306-320, April.
- McGahan, Anita M, 1999. "The Performance of US Corporations: 1981-1994," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 373-98, December.
- Ihrig, Jane & Prior, David, 2005. "The effect of exchange rate fluctuations on multinationals' returns," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 273-286, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:glecrv:v:39:y:2010:i:3:p:327-348. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.