Assessing the Impact of Religion on Gender Status
In an article published in Economic Development and Cultural Change , Shoshona Grossbard-Shechtman and Shoshona Neuman "offer clues on how religion affects women's value of time in marriage." Using data from Israel, they argue that they are able to measure differences in the value of women's time in marriage among Christians, Muslims, and Jews. Unfortunately their article contains a number of erroneous statements concerning the three religions on which they focus. They provide little scriptural support for their conclusions, and ignore the particularities of the local religious practices in Israel. As such, their theoretical argument is flawed. In addition, their interpretation of their results and their treatment of religion as a dummy variable are rather problematic. In this comment I challenge their discussion of how both scripture and local practice define the three religions, as well as problematizing and reinterpreting the authors' empirical results.
Volume (Year): 8 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RFEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RFEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossbard-Shechtman, Shoshana & Neuman, Shoshana, 1998.
"The Extra Burden of Moslem Wives: Clues from Israeli Women's Labor Supply,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(3), pages 491-517, April.
- Grossbard-Shechtman, Shoshana & Neuman, Shoshana, 1998. "The Extra Burden of Moslem Wives: Clues from Israeli Women's Labour Supply," CEPR Discussion Papers 1807, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sondra Hale, 1995. "Gender and economics; Islam and Polygamy - a question of causality," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 67-79.
- Grossbard-Shechtman, Shoshana Amyra & Neuman, Shoshana, 1988. "Women's Labor Supply and Marital Choice," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(6), pages 1294-1302, December.
- Robert Cherry, 1998. "Rational Choice and the Price of Marriage," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 27-49. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:femeco:v:8:y:2002:i:3:p:99-111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.