Mature Export-Led Growth and Gender Wage Inequality in Taiwan
After 1980, the Taiwanese economy was marked by technological change, growing overseas investment by Taiwanese firms, and continuing success with export-oriented manufacturing. In the manufacturing sector these developments coincided with a decline in women's employment opportunities relative to men's, a shift from wage to salaried employment, and an increase in gender wage inequality. Using industry-level panel data, this study investigates the effects of Taiwan's restructuring during this period on gender wage inequality. The most important findings are: greater export orientation adversely affects both men's and women's wages yet reduces gender wage inequality, because male employees face a greater wage penalty than women; greater capital intensity improves both men's and women's wages; and the shift toward salaried jobs improves men's wages while reducing wages of women. These results hold after controlling for the effects of female industrial crowding, female reserve labor supply, firm size, and overseas foreign direct investment.
Volume (Year): 6 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RFEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RFEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Greene & Emily Hoffnar, 1995. "Gender earnings inequality in the service and manufacturing industries in the U.S," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(3), pages 82-95.
- Stephanie Seguino, 1997. "Gender wage inequality and export-led growth in South Korea," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 102-132.
- Fields, Gary S, 1994. "Changing Labor Market Conditions and Economic Development in Hong Kong, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan, China," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 8(3), pages 395-414, September.
- Chen, Tain-Jy, 1992. "Determinants of Taiwan's direct foreign investment : The case of a newly industrializing country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 397-407, October.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998.
"Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Tain-jy Chen & Yi-Ping Chen, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 57-68.
- Gannicott, Kenneth, 1986. "Women, Wages, and Discrimination: Some Evidence from Taiwan," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(4), pages 721-30, July.
- Barbara R. Bergmann, 1974. "Occupational Segregation, Wages and Profits When Employers Discriminate by Race or Sex," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 103-110, April.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1995. "Are Your Wages Set in Beijing?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 15-32, Summer.
- William T. Dickens & Lawrence F. Katz, 1986. "Interindustry Wage Differences and Industry Characteristics," NBER Working Papers 2014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Del Alba Acevedo, Luz, 1990. "Industrialization and employment: Changes in the patterns of women's work in Puerto Rico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 215-229, February.
- Jiann-Chyuan Wang & Kuen-Hung Tsai, 1995. "Taiwan's Industrial Technology," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 69-82.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:femeco:v:6:y:2000:i:3:p:1-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.