Dividend yield strategies in the British stock market
One particular investment strategy, a dividend yield strategy, has been in existence for several years. This strategy consists of investing an equal dollar amount in each of the ten stocks of a market index with the highest dividend yields. With yearly rebalancing, the portfolio return in the United States over time has exceeded that of the Dow. In this paper, we find that a similar dividend yield investment strategy in Britain was not effective between March 1984 and February 1994. The portfolio returns exceeded the market returns on both unadjusted and risk adjusted bases, in only four years. The superior multiple year Top Ten portfolio performances were primarily due to the outstanding second year returns.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 3 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goetzmann, William N & Jorion, Philippe, 1995.
"A Longer Look at Dividend Yields,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(4), pages 483-508, October.
- Christie, William G., 1990. "Dividend yield and expected returns *1: The zero-dividend puzzle," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 95-125.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1980. "Stock Returns and Dividend Yields: Some More Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(4), pages 567-77, November.
- William F. Sharpe, 1965. "Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 119.
- Goetzmann, W.N., 1990.
"Testing The Predictive Power Of Dividend Yields,"
fb-_90-12, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Keim, Donald B., 1985.
"Dividend yields and stock returns: Implications of abnormal January returns,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 473-489, September.
- Donald B. Keim, . "Dividend Yields and Stock Returns: Implications of Abnormal January Returns," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 14-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Elton, Edwin & Gruber, Martin & Rentzler, Joel, 1983. "A simple examination of the empirical relationship between dividend yields and deviations from the CAPM," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 135-146, March.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1988. "Dividend yields and expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-25, October.
- Gombola, Michael J & Liu, Feng-Ying L, 1993. "Dividend Yields and Stock Returns: Evidence of Time Variation between Bull and Bear Markets," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 28(3), pages 303-27, August.
- Litzenberger, Robert H. & Ramaswamy, Krishna, 1979. "The effect of personal taxes and dividends on capital asset prices : Theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 163-195, June.
- Litzenberger, Robert H & Ramaswamy, Krishna, 1982. " The Effects of Dividends on Common Stock Prices: Tax Effects or Information Effects?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(2), pages 429-43, May.
- Basu, S, 1977. "Investment Performance of Common Stocks in Relation to Their Price-Earnings Ratios: A Test of the Efficient Market Hypothesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(3), pages 663-82, June.
- Corhay, Albert & Hawawini, Gabriel & Michel, Pierre, 1987. " Seasonality in the Risk-Return Relationship: Some International Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 49-68, March.
- Gombola, Michael J & Liu, Feng-Ying, 1993. "Considering Dividend Stability in the Relation between Dividend Yields and Stock Returns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(2), pages 139-50, Summer.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron, 1974. "The effects of dividend yield and dividend policy on common stock prices and returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-22, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eurjfi:v:3:y:1997:i:4:p:277-289. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.