Dividend yield strategies in the British stock market
One particular investment strategy, a dividend yield strategy, has been in existence for several years. This strategy consists of investing an equal dollar amount in each of the ten stocks of a market index with the highest dividend yields. With yearly rebalancing, the portfolio return in the United States over time has exceeded that of the Dow. In this paper, we find that a similar dividend yield investment strategy in Britain was not effective between March 1984 and February 1994. The portfolio returns exceeded the market returns on both unadjusted and risk adjusted bases, in only four years. The superior multiple year Top Ten portfolio performances were primarily due to the outstanding second year returns.
Volume (Year): 3 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJF20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Litzenberger, Robert H. & Ramaswamy, Krishna, 1979. "The effect of personal taxes and dividends on capital asset prices : Theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 163-195, June.
- William F. Sharpe, 1965. "Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 119.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1988. "Dividend yields and expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-25, October.
- Litzenberger, Robert H & Ramaswamy, Krishna, 1982. " The Effects of Dividends on Common Stock Prices: Tax Effects or Information Effects?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(2), pages 429-43, May.
- Goetzmann, W.N., 1990.
"Testing The Predictive Power Of Dividend Yields,"
fb-_90-12, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Christie, William G., 1990. "Dividend yield and expected returns *1: The zero-dividend puzzle," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 95-125.
- Keim, Donald B., 1985.
"Dividend yields and stock returns: Implications of abnormal January returns,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 473-489, September.
- Donald B. Keim, . "Dividend Yields and Stock Returns: Implications of Abnormal January Returns," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 14-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron, 1974. "The effects of dividend yield and dividend policy on common stock prices and returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-22, May.
- Elton, Edwin & Gruber, Martin & Rentzler, Joel, 1983. "A simple examination of the empirical relationship between dividend yields and deviations from the CAPM," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 135-146, March.
- Goetzmann, William N & Jorion, Philippe, 1995.
"A Longer Look at Dividend Yields,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(4), pages 483-508, October.
- Corhay, Albert & Hawawini, Gabriel & Michel, Pierre, 1987. " Seasonality in the Risk-Return Relationship: Some International Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 49-68, March.
- Gombola, Michael J & Liu, Feng-Ying L, 1993. "Dividend Yields and Stock Returns: Evidence of Time Variation between Bull and Bear Markets," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 28(3), pages 303-27, August.
- Basu, S, 1977. "Investment Performance of Common Stocks in Relation to Their Price-Earnings Ratios: A Test of the Efficient Market Hypothesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(3), pages 663-82, June.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1980. "Stock Returns and Dividend Yields: Some More Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(4), pages 567-77, November.
- Gombola, Michael J & Liu, Feng-Ying, 1993. "Considering Dividend Stability in the Relation between Dividend Yields and Stock Returns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(2), pages 139-50, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eurjfi:v:3:y:1997:i:4:p:277-289. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.