Keynes's Treatise : aggregate price theory for modern analysis?
The paper explores the theory of the aggregate price, profit, and business fluctuations in Keyne's Treatise for its implications for modern macro-economic analysis. As in the Treatise, profits are first defined within a theory of the agregate price level, as aggregate investment minus saving. Deriving aggregate total revenue and aggregate total cost from this price theory, the paper shows how to construct a version of the Keynesian cross diagram. The cross construction suggests an important qualification for fiscal policy, that total cost does not shift. Then, using a neoclassical definition of profit and the total-cost / total-revenue approach, the paper derives aggregate supply, and then adds aggregate demand in an integrated framework. Comparative statics of the AS-AD analysis and the central role of profit in the Treatise suggest that a focus on profit might be useful in identifying exogenous technology shocks of real business cycle theory.
Volume (Year): 9 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJH20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJH20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neville, J. & Rao, B.B., 1991.
"The Use and Abuse of Aggregate Demand and Supply Functions,"
91-16, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Nevile, J W & Rao, B Bhaskara, 1996. "The Use and Abuse of Aggregate Demand and Supply Functions," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 64(2), pages 189-207, June.
- William Darity, Jr. & Warren Young, 1995. "IS-LM: An Inquest," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 27(1), pages 1-41, Spring.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:1993.16 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Colander, 1995. "The Stories We Tell: A Reconsideration of AS/AD Analysis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 169-188, Summer.
- Mankiw, N Gregory, 1989.
"Real Business Cycles: A New Keynesian Perspective,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 79-90, Summer.
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1998. "A Vision of the Growth Process," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 1-32, March.
- Daniel R. Fusfeld, 1985. "Keynes and the Keynesian cross: a note," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 17(3), pages 385-389, Fall.
- John King, 1993.
"Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis Since Keynes: A Partial History,"
1993.16, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Topel, Robert H & Rosen, Sherwin, 1988. "Housing Investment in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 718-40, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eujhet:v:9:y:2002:i:3:p:430-451. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.