The temporary equilibrium method: Hicks against Hicks
Hicks is renowned for having introduced the temporary equilibrium framework in his book Value and Capital. Subsequently, however, he partially recanted this framework by rejecting the market clearing idea while still keeping the week device. The aim of this paper is to assess whether this change was right. My answer will be broadly negative. To make my point, I will ponder on the meaning and implications of the week device, assess the validity of Hicks' claim that slow adjustment can cause market rationing, examine his claim that the possibility of market clearing depends on the prevailing market form and, finally, assess his twofold filiations towards Marshall and Walras.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJH20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJH20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hahn, Frank, 1990. "John Hicks the Theorist," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 539-49, June.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977.
"Temporary General Equilibrium Theory,"
Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 535-72, April.
- Leijonhufvud, Axel, 1984. "Hicks on Time and Money," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(0), pages 26-46, Supplemen.
- Michel De Vroey, 2000.
"Marshall on equilibrium and time: a reconstruction,"
The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 245-269.
- De Vroey, Michel, 1997. "Marshall on Equilibrium and Time. A Reconstruction," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1997010, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- De Vroey, Michel, 1997.
"The Marshallian Market and the Walrasian Economy. Two Incompatible Bedfellows?,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1998004, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- De Vroey, Michel, 1999. "The Marshallian Market and the Walrasian Economy. Two Incompatible Bedfellows," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 46(3), pages 319-38, August.
- Hicks, John, 1977. "Economic Perspectives: Further Essays on Money and Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284079, March.
- Hicks, John, 1989. "A Market Theory of Money," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287247, March.
- Leijonhufvud, Axel, 1984. "Hicks on time and money," Discussion Papers, Series I 182, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
- De Vroey, Michel, 2001. "Price Rigidity and Market-Clearing: A Conceptual Clarification," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(5), pages 639-55, September.
- Michel De Vroey, 2003. "Perfect information a la Walras versus perfect information a la Marshall," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 465-492.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eujhet:v:13:y:2006:i:2:p:259-278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.