Linear And Non-Linear Price Decentralization
The present paper provides compendious and thorough solutions to the price equilibrium existence problem, the second welfare theorem, and the limit theorem on the core of an economy for exchange economies whose commodity space is an arbitrary ordered Frechet space. The motivation comes from economic applications showing the need to bring within the scope of equilibrium theory commodity spaces that are not vector lattice ordered and whose positive cones have empty interior, a typical situation in models of portfolio trading with incomplete markets. Our assumptions are made on the primitive objects fo the economy. Remarkably, the assumptions that we make on the order structure of the commodity space are indispensable. For w-proper economies, these assumptions are both sufficient and necessary for the existence of equilibrium, the second welfare theorem, and the Edgeworth-Walras equivalence theorem. We take advantage of new developments in the theory of ordered vector spaces, in particular the possibility of embedding the price cone into a lattice cone called the super-order dual of the ordered vector space. Therefore, even though the commodity price duality has no lattice structure important lattice theoretic techniques can be applied outside this duality.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, The University of Melbourne, 4th Floor, FBE Building, Level 4, 111 Barry Street. Victoria, 3010, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 8344 5355
Fax: +61 3 8344 6899
Web page: http://fbe.unimelb.edu.au/economics
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nizar Allouch & Monique Florenzano, 2004.
"Edgeworth and Walras equilibria of an arbitrage-free exchange economy,"
Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 353-370, January.
- Nizar Allouch & Monique Florenzano, 2004. "Edgeworth and Walras equilibria of an arbitrage-free exchange economy," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00086096, HAL.
- Allouch, N. & Florenzano, M., 2000. "Edgeworth and Walras Equilibria of an Arbitrage-Free Exchange Economy," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.119, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Nizar Allouch, 2000. "Edgeworth and Walras Equilibria of an Arbitrage-Free Exchange Economy," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1901, Econometric Society.
- Aliprantis, Charalambos D. & Tourky, Rabee, 2002.
"Markets that don't replicate any option,"
Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 443-447, August.
- Back, Kerry, 1988.
"Structure of consumption sets and existence of equilibria in infinite-dimensional spaces,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 89-99, February.
- Kerry Back, 1986. "Structure of Consumption Sets and Existence of Equilibria in Infinite Dimensional Spaces," Discussion Papers 633, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Richard, Scott F., 1991. "A new approach to the existence of equilibria in vector lattices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Rabee Tourky, 1999. "The limit theorem on the core of a production economy in vector lattices with unordered preferences," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 219-226.
- Aliprantis, Charalambos D. & Brown, Donald J. & Burkinshaw, Owen, 1987. "Edgeworth equilibria in production economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 252-291, December.
- Aliprantis, Charalambos D. & Tourky, Rabee & Yannelis, Nicholas C., 2000. "Cone Conditions in General Equilibrium Theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 96-121, May.
- Robert A. Jarrow & Xing Jin & Dilip B. Madan, 1999. "The Second Fundamental Theorem of Asset Pricing," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 255-273.
- Stephen A. Ross, 1976. "Options and Efficiency," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(1), pages 75-89.
- Zame, William R, 1987. "Competitive Equilibria in Production Economies with an Infinite-Dimensional Commodity Space," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1075-1108, September.
- Aliprantis, C. D. & Brown, D. J. & Polyrakis, I. A. & Werner, J., 1998.
"Portfolio dominance and optimality in infinite security markets,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 347-366, October.
- Aliprantis, C. D. & D. J. Brown & I. A. Polyrakis & J. Werner, 1996. "Portfolio Dominance and Optimality in Infinite Security Markets," Discussion Paper Serie B 383, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Richard, Scott F., 1989. "A new approach to production equilibria in vector lattices," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 41-56, February.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:1997.03 is not listed on IDEAS
- Donald J. Brown & Charalambos Aliprantis & Owen Burkinshaw, 1985.
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
756R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Valeri M. Marakulin, 2001. "Equilibria in infinite dimensional commodity spaces revisited," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 621-633.
- Messaoud Deghdak & Monique Florenzano, 1999.
"Decentralizing Edgeworth equilibria in economies with many commodities,"
Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 297-310.
- Florenzano, Monique & Deghdak, Messaoud, 1997. "Decentralizing edgeworth equilibria in economies with many commodities," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9721, CEPREMAP.
- Araujo, A. & Monteiro, P. K., 1989. "Equilibrium without uniform conditions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 416-427, August.
- Donald A. Walker (ed.), 2000. "Equilibrium," Books, Edward Elgar, volume 0, number 1585.
- Yannelis, Nicholas C. & Zame, William R., 1986. "Equilibria in Banach lattices without ordered preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 85-110, April.
- Tourky, Rabee, 1998.
"A New Approach to the Limit Theorem on the Core of an Economy in Vector Lattices,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 321-328, February.
- Aliprantis, Charalombos & Burkinshaw, Owen, 1991. "When Is the Core Equivalence Theorem Valid?," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 169-82, April.
- Aliprantis, Charalambos D. & Monteiro, Paulo K. & Tourky, Rabee, 2004. "Non-marketed options, non-existence of equilibria, and non-linear prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 345-357, February.
- Podczeck, Konrad, 1996. "Equilibria in vector lattices without ordered preferences or uniform properness," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 465-485.
- Stephen Clark, 2004. "A tangent cone analysis of smooth preferences on a topological vector space," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 337-352, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mlb:wpaper:867. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katherine Perez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.