Testing for State Dependence with Time-Variant Transition Probabilities
We derive a simple result that allows us to test for the presence of state dependence in a dynamic Logit model with time-variant transition probabilities and an arbitrary distribution of the unobserved heterogeneity. Monte Carlo evidence suggests that this test has desirable properties even when there are some violations of the model's assumptions. We also consider alternative tests that will have desirable properties only when the transition probabilities do not depend on time and provide evidence that there is an “acceptable” range in which ignoring time-dependence does not matter too much. We conclude with an application to the Barker Hypothesis.
Volume (Year): 26 (2007)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/LECR20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy Halliday, 2006.
"Income Risk and Health,"
200612, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Timothy J Halliday, 2005.
"Heterogeneity, State Dependence and Health,"
200503, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Bo E. Honoré & Elie Tamer, 2006. "Bounds on Parameters in Panel Dynamic Discrete Choice Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 611-629, 05.
- Hahn, Jinyong, 2001. "The Information Bound Of A Dynamic Panel Logit Model With Fixed Effects," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(05), pages 913-932, October.
- Anne Case & Darren Lubotsky & Christina Paxson, 2002.
"Economic status and health in childhood: the origins of the gradient,"
262, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- Anne Case & Darren Lubotsky & Christina Paxson, 2002. "Economic Status and Health in Childhood: The Origins of the Gradient," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1308-1334, December.
- Anne Case & Darren Lubotsky & Christina Paxson, 2001. "Economic Status and Health in Childhood: The Origins of the Gradient," NBER Working Papers 8344, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thierry Magnac, 2004.
"Panel Binary Variables and Sufficiency: Generalizing Conditional Logit,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1859-1876, November.
- Thierry Magnac, 2003. "Panel Binary Variables and Sufficiency: Generalizing Conditional Logit," Research Unit Working Papers 0308, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Thierry Magnac, 2004. "Panel binary variables and sufficiency : generalizing conditional logit," Working Papers 155465, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Bo E. Honoré & Elie Tamer, 2002. "Bounds on Parameters in Dynamic Discrete Choice Models," CAM Working Papers 2004-23, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics, revised Aug 2004.
- Bo E. Honoré & Ekaterini Kyriazidou, 2000. "Panel Data Discrete Choice Models with Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 839-874, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:emetrv:v:26:y:2007:i:6:p:685-703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.