Modelling trigonometric seasonal components for monthly economic time series
The basic structural time series model has been designed for the modelling and forecasting of seasonal economic time series. In this article, we explore a generalization of the basic structural time series model in which the time-varying trigonometric terms associated with different seasonal frequencies have different variances for their disturbances. The contribution of the article is two-fold. The first aim is to investigate the dynamic properties of this frequency-specific Basic Structural Model (BSM). The second aim is to relate the model to a comparable generalized version of the Airline model developed at the US Census Bureau. By adopting a quadratic distance metric based on the restricted reduced form moving-average representation of the models, we conclude that the generalized models have properties that are close to each other compared to their default counterparts. In some settings, the distance between the models is almost zero so that the models can be regarded as observationally equivalent. An extensive empirical study on disaggregated monthly shipment and foreign trade series illustrates the improvements of the frequency-specific extension and investigates the relations between the two classes of models.
Volume (Year): 45 (2013)
Issue (Month): 21 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey, Andrew, 2001. "Testing in Unobserved Components Models," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Maravall, Agustin, 1985. "On Structural Time Series Models and the Characterization of Components," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 350-355, October.
- [Reference to Proietti], Tommaso, 2000. "Comparing seasonal components for structural time series models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 247-260.
- Busetti, Fabio & Harvey, Andrew, 2003. "Seasonality Tests," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(3), pages 420-436, July.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2012.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press,
edition 2, number 9780199641178.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001. "Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
- McElroy, Tucker, 2008. "Matrix Formulas For Nonstationary Arima Signal Extraction," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 988-1009, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:45:y:2013:i:21:p:3024-3034. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Longhurst)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.