The demand for smokeless tobacco among male high school students in the United States: the impact of taxes, prices and policies
Despite the deleterious effects of smokeless tobacco use, very little is known about the effects of tobacco control policies on smokeless tobacco demand. This paper uses data extracted from the 1995-2001 National Youth Risk Behavior Surveys (YRBS) augmented with tobacco taxes, prices and policies to estimate smokeless tobacco demand equations among male high school students. The estimates indicate that higher smokeless tobacco taxes would significantly reduce the number of male students who use smokeless tobacco and the number of days smokeless tobacco users use smokeless tobacco. Moreover, smokeless tobacco products and cigarettes were found to be economic complements in consumption.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blough, David K. & Madden, Carolyn W. & Hornbrook, Mark C., 1999. "Modeling risk using generalized linear models," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 153-171, April.
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Michael Grossman & John A. Tauras, 1996. "Public Policy and Youth Smokeless Tobacco Use," NBER Working Papers 5524, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manning, Willard G. & Mullahy, John, 2001.
"Estimating log models: to transform or not to transform?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 461-494, July.
- Willard G. Manning & John Mullahy, 1999. "Estimating Log Models: To Transform or Not to Transform?," NBER Technical Working Papers 0246, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mullahy, John, 1998. "Much ado about two: reconsidering retransformation and the two-part model in health econometrics," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 247-281, June.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Manning, Willard G., 1998. "The logged dependent variable, heteroscedasticity, and the retransformation problem," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 283-295, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:39:y:2007:i:1:p:31-41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.