Foreign patent rights and high-tech exports: evidence from Taiwan
This paper conducts a consecutive pooled data analysis from 1989 to 2000 to investigate the relationship between foreign patent rights (FPRs) and the exports of three high-tech industries in Taiwan: the semiconductor, the information and the communication equipment industries. Following Smith's model setup, empirical results indicate that both market expansion and market power effects do exist in Taiwan's case. In addition, this paper proposes a new hypothesis in which the importing country may exhibit a stronger R&D ability than the exporting country, a case that has not been considered in earlier empirical work. Finally, a test is made to determine if a TRIPS (Trade-related Intellectual Property Rights) agreement has any impact on the FPRs-exports relationship, and no evidence is found of a structural change after the implementation of TRIPS.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maskus, Keith E. & Penubarti, Mohan, 1995. "How trade-related are intellectual property rights?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 227-248, November.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1985. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade: Some Microeconomic Foundations and Empirical Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 474-481, August.
- Smith, Pamela J., 2001. "How do foreign patent rights affect U.S. exports, affiliate sales, and licenses?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 411-439, December.
- M. Scott Taylor, 1993. "TRIPS, Trade, and Technology Transfer," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 625-637, August.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-116, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:37:y:2005:i:13:p:1543-1555. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.