Modelling EU tobacco policy reform
Smoking and tobacco use have acquired the dimensions of an epidemic. Recently, a decision by the European Parliament due to health concerns, calls for an elimination of production subsidies within five years. The purpose of this paper is to estimate the economic implications of the reduction of protection levels and to examine whether this policy change will act as an effective tool for less consumption. To this end, two scenarios are examined; namely, a Baseline Scenario, which assumes continuation of current policy measures, and a Policy Scenario where production support is eliminated. According to the results by 2010, EU tobacco consumption in the Baseline scenario is expected to show a modest decline and a more significant decrease in the Policy scenario. In addition, the EU self-sufficiency ratio is projected to decrease in the Policy scenario by almost 14% compared to the Baseline. Therefore, with increasing liberalization of international trade, reducing EU tobacco supply would mostly shift tobacco production to other, mainly, developing countries. Therefore, public policy that aims to reduce tobacco use may need to focus on demand.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 19 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cezary A. Kapuscinski & Prof Peter G. Warr, 1996.
"Estimation of Armington Elasticities: An Application to the Philippines,"
Trade and Development
96/8, Australian National University, Department of Economics.
- Kapuscinski, Cezary A. & Warr, Peter G., 1999. "Estimation of Armington elasticities: an application to the Philippines," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 257-278, April.
- Cezary A Kapuscinski & Peter G Warr, 1996. "Estimation of Armington Elasticities: An Application to the Philippines," Departmental Working Papers 1996-08, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- H. Guyomard & L. P. Mahé & C. Tavéra & T. Trochet, 1991. "Technical Change And Ec-Us Agricultural Trade Liberalisation," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 119-137.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:36:y:2004:i:19:p:2167-2175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.