Estimation and arbitrage opportunities for exchange rate baskets
This paper analyses short-term portfolio investment opportunities in a capital market where a currency is defined as a currency basket. In line with the mean-variance hedging approach, a self-financed optimal investment strategy is determined which minimizes the expected quadratic cost function. The successful implementation of the speculative strategy requires a precise estimate of the basket weights, which are possibly non-constant over time. To this end, an adaptive non-parametric procedure is suggested which provides satisfactory results both on simulated and real data. The optimal investment strategy is applied to the case of the Thai Baht basket whereby the weights are computed by means of the adaptive estimator. A recursive estimator, a rolling estimator and the Kalman filter, are implemented and serve as benchmark models. Results are compared with the literature. The different estimators are evaluated with profit-based criteria and the performance of the adaptive estimator turns out to be the best one.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Peter F. Christoffersen & Lorenzo Giorgianni, 1999.
"Interest Rate Arbitrage in Currency Baskets: Forecasting Weights and Measuring Risk,"
IMF Working Papers
99/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Christoffersen, Peter F & Giorgianni, Lorenzo, 2000. "Interest-Rate Arbitrage in Currency Baskets: Forecasting Weights and Measuring Risk," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(2), pages 242-53, April.
- Canarellsal, Giorgio & Pollard, Stephen K. & Lai, Kon S., 1990. "Cointegration between exchange rates and relative prices: another view," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1303-1322, November.
- Granger, Clive W J, 1986. "Developments in the Study of Cointegrated Economic Variables," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 213-28, August.
- Mercurio, Danilo & Torricelli, Costanza, 2001.
"Estimation and arbitrage opportunities for exchange rate baskets,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2001,37, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Danilo Mercurio & Costanza Torricelli, 2003. "Estimation and arbitrage opportunities for exchange rate baskets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(15), pages 1689-1698.
- Cooley, Thomas F & Prescott, Edward C, 1973. "An Adaptive Regression Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(2), pages 364-71, June.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 2002.
"Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 45-59, January.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992. "Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 321-35, July.
- Liptser, R. & Spokoiny, Vladimir G., 1999. "Deviation probability bound for martingales with applications to statistical estimation," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1999,85, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:35:y:2003:i:15:p:1689-1698. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.