Measuring bank profit efficiency
To date, work concerned with the potential determinants of credit institutions' profit inefficiency levels has addressed this issue in either a single-step or multi-step process. In the former, inefficiency scores are conditioned by region and bank-specific indicators, while in the latter, generated inefficiency scores are subsequently regressed on a set of potential correlates. The approach proposed here allows these issues to be explored jointly in a statistically consistent manner. The model is applied to a sample of banks from Ireland, the UK, Canada and Australia.
Volume (Year): 18 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berger, Allen N. & Mester, Loretta J., 1997.
"Inside the black box: What explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 895-947, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the Black Box: What Explains Differences in the Efficiencies of Financial Institutions?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Working Papers 97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1984.
"Do markets differ much?,"
1531-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Amel, Dean & Barnes, Colleen & Panetta, Fabio & Salleo, Carmelo, 2004. "Consolidation and efficiency in the financial sector: A review of the international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2493-2519, October.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Altunbas, Y. & Gardener, E. P. M. & Molyneux, P. & Moore, B., 2001. "Efficiency in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1931-1955, December.
- Francisco Pérez García & Javier Quesada Ibañez & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1999.
"- Cost And Profit Efficiency In European Banks,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1999-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, Jose M. & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 2002. "Cost and profit efficiency in European banks," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 33-58, February.
- Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Williams, Barry, 2004. "Foreign bank entry, deregulation and bank efficiency: Lessons from the Australian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1775-1799, July.
- Rahman, Sanzidur, 2003.
"Profit efficiency among Bangladeshi rice farmers,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(5-6), pages 487-503.
- S Rahman, 2002. "Profit Efficiency Among Bangladeshi Rice Farmers," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0203, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Rahman, Sanzidur, 2003. "Profit Efficiency Among Bangladeshi Rice Farmers," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25898, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fitzpatrick, Trevor & McQuinn, Kieran, 2004. "Cost Efficiency in UK and Irish Credit Institutions," Research Technical Papers 3/RT/04, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Clark, Jeffrey A & Siems, Thomas F, 2002. "X-Efficiency in Banking: Looking beyond the Balance Sheet," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(4), pages 987-1013, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:18:y:2007:i:1:p:1-8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.