Forecasting the term structure of interest rates for Turkey: a factor analysis approach
We perform factor analysis on monthly yield curves estimated by Nelson-Siegel model using the Turkish secondary government securities market data. Monthly yield curves are characterized by three factors which are estimated using nominal volume-weighted average monthly zero-coupon yields. According to the loadings of each factor, we label the factors as level, slope and curvature. Next, we forecast yield curves using AR-GARCH and random walk processes and compare their relative performance. Our results indicate that the three factor model has high explanatory power and that the AR-GARCH specification has superior forecasting power for Turkey.
Volume (Year): 17 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knez, Peter J & Litterman, Robert & Scheinkman, Jose Alexandre, 1994. " Explorations into Factors Explaining Money Market Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1861-82, December.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2002.
"Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2006. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 337-364, February.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2003. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2003. "Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields," NBER Working Papers 10048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 2002. "Term Premia and Interest Rate Forecasts in Affine Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 405-443, 02.
- C. Emre Alper & Aras Akdemir & Kazim Kazimov, 2004. "Estimating the Term Structure of Government Securities in Turkey," Working Papers 2004/03, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Shea, Gary S., 1984. "Pitfalls in Smoothing Interest Rate Term Structure Data: Equilibrium Models and Spline Approximations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 253-269, September.
- Hakan Berument & Aslý Günay, 2001.
"Exchange Rate Risk and Interest Rate : A Case Study for Turkey,"
Departmental Working Papers
0110, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Hakan Berument & Asli GÃ¼nay, 2003. "Exchange Rate Risk and Interest Rate: A Case Study for Turkey," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 19-27, January.
- Chambers, Donald R. & Carleton, Willard T. & Waldman, Donald W., 1984. "A New Approach to Estimation of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 233-252, September.
- Chris Brooks & Frank Skinner, 2000. "What will be the risk-free rate and benchmark yield curve following European monetary union?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 59-69.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:17:y:2007:i:1:p:77-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.