Transformation of payment systems: the case of European Union enlargement
In this article, we analyse how the accession to an economic and monetary union and the influence of new institutions may shape consumers' payment decisions in newly acceded countries. Our analysis focuses on the 2004 European Union (EU) enlargement process. Results confirm the prediction of theoretical models about the relevance of economic development, institutional environment and payment infrastructure in retail payment system decisions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 18 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stijn Ferrari & Frank Verboven & Hans Degryse, 2007.
"Investment and usage of new technologies: evidence form a shared ATM network,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0731, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Stijn Ferrari & Frank Verboven & Hans Degryse, 2010. "Investment and Usage of New Technologies: Evidence from a Shared ATM Network," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(3), pages 1046-79, June.
- Ferrari, S. & Verboven, F.L. & Degryse, H.A., 2008. "Investment and Usage of New Technologies : Evidence from a Shared ATM Network," Discussion Paper 2008-1, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ferrari, S. & Verboven, F.L. & Degryse, H.A., 2007. "Investment and Usage of New Technologies : Evidence from a Shared ATM Network," Discussion Paper 2007-035, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Degryse, Hans & Ferrari, Stijn & Verboven, Frank, 2007. "Investment and Usage of New Technologies: Evidence from a Shared ATM Network," CEPR Discussion Papers 6592, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Humphrey, David B., 2010. "Retail payments: New contributions, empirical results, and unanswered questions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1729-1737, August.
- Sheri M. Markose & Yiing Jia Loke, 2003.
"Network Effects On Cash-Card Substitution In Transactions And Low Interest Rate Regimes,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(487), pages 456-476, 04.
- Sheri M. Markose & Yiing Jia Loke, 2000. "Network effects on Cash-Card Substitution in Transactions and Low Interest Rate Regimes," Economics Discussion Papers 507, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, .
"Legal Determinants of External Finance,"
19443, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1788, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- RAFAEL LaPORTA & FLORENCIO LOPEZ-de-SILANES & ANDREI SHLEIFER & ROBERT W. VISHNY, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance,"," CRSP working papers 324, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," NBER Working Papers 5879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scholnick, Barry & Massoud, Nadia & Saunders, Anthony & Carbo-Valverde, Santiago & Rodríguez-Fernández, Francisco, 2008.
"The economics of credit cards, debit cards and ATMs: A survey and some new evidence,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1468-1483, August.
- Carbó Valverde Santiago & Massoud Nadia & Rodríguez-Fernández Francisco & Saunders Anthony & Scholnick Barry, 2007. "The Economics of Credit Cards, Debit Cards and ATMs: A Survey and Some New Evidence," Working Papers 201074, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Ireland, Peter N., 1994. "Economic growth, financial evolution, and the long-run behavior of velocity," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(3-4), pages 815-848.
- Helmut Stix, 2003.
"How Do Debit Cards Affect Cash Demand? Survey Data Evidence,"
82, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Helmut Stix, 2004. "How Do Debit Cards Affect Cash Demand? Survey Data Evidence," Empirica, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 93-115, June.
- Humphrey, David B & Kim, Moshe & Vale, Bent, 2001.
"Realizing the Gains from Electronic Payments: Costs, Pricing, and Payment Choice,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 216-34, May.
- David Humphrey & Moshe Kim & Bent Vale, 1998. "Realizing the gains from electronic payments: costs, pricing, and payment choice," Proceedings 586, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1983. "`Optimal fiscal and monetary policy in an economy without capital' by Robert E. Lucas and Nancy L. Stokey," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 95-99.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Hromcová, Jana, 2008. "Learning-or-doing in a cash-in-advance economy with costly credit," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 2826-2853, September.
- Ireland, Peter N, 1994. "Money and Growth: An Alternative Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 47-65, March.
- Glenn B. Canner & Charles A. Luckett, 1992. "Developments in the pricing of credit card services," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Sep, pages 652-666.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1982.
"Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy in an Economy Without Capital,"
532, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Stokey, Nancy L., 1983. "Optimal fiscal and monetary policy in an economy without capital," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 55-93.
- Marek Dabrowski & Artur Radziwill, 2007.
"Regional vs. Global Public Goods: The Case of Post-Communist Transition,"
CASE Network Studies and Analyses
0336, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Dabrowski, Marek & Radziwill, Artur, 2007. "Regional vs. Global Public Goods: The Case of Post-Communist Transition," MPRA Paper 11967, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:dgr:kubtil:2007035 is not listed on IDEAS
- Callado Muñoz, Francisco José & Utrero González, Natalia, 2004. "European payment systems and monetary union," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 12, pages 85-92.
- Gérard Duchêne & Ramona Jimborean & Boris Najman, 2006. "Structure of Monetary Assets in Transition Economies: Financial Innovation and Structural Transformation," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00270544, HAL.
- Laura Rinaldi, . "Payment Cards and Money Demand in Belgium," International Economics Working Papers Series ces0116, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, International Economics.
- Callado Muñoz, Francisco José & Utrero González, Natalia, 2007. "Towards economic and monetary union: changing trends in payment systems for new European members," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 20, pages 168-174.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- David B. Humphrey & Lawrence B. Pulley & Jukka M. Vesala, 1996. "Cash, paper, and electronic payments: a cross-country analysis," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 914-941.
- Humphrey, David B., 2004. "Replacement of cash by cards in US consumer payments," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 211-225.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:19:y:2012:i:18:p:1787-1791. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.