Dynamics of Current Account Deficit: A Lesson from Pakistan
This study investigates the determinants of the current account deficit in Pakistan by using the annual time series data for the period from 1976 to 2010. The cointegration results suggest the positive and significant long run relationship of the current account deficit with the exchange rate, trade deficit and fiscal deficit while a significant negative relationship is found with external debt and private saving. The error correction model also confirms the significant positive relationship of the current account deficit with trade deficit and fiscal deficit in the short run. The Granger-causality test shows the bidirectional causal relationship of exchange rate and external debt with current account deficit. While, unidirectional causality is found from current account deficit to trade deficit and private savings. It is recommended that the government needs to be cautious in financing its fiscal deficit. Savings habits should be increased to narrow the investment gap in economy. Copyright Springer-Verlag Wien 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 19 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=112913|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamid Faruqee & Guy Debelle, 1996. "What Determines the Current Account? a Cross-Sectional and Panel Approach," IMF Working Papers 96/58, International Monetary Fund.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Prasad, Eswar S., 2003.
"Medium-term determinants of current accounts in industrial and developing countries: an empirical exploration,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 47-76, January.
- Menzie David Chinn & Eswar Prasad, 2000. "Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries; An Empirical Exploration," IMF Working Papers 00/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Eswar S. Prasad, 2000. "Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries: An Empirical Exploration," NBER Working Papers 7581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Hanan Morsy, 2010.
"Current Account Determinants For Oil-Exporting Countries,"
511, Economic Research Forum, revised Mar 2010.
- Hanan Morsy, 2009. "Current Account Determinants for Oil-Exporting Countries," IMF Working Papers 09/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Calderon Cesar Augusto & Chong Alberto & Loayza Norman V., 2002.
"Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-33, March.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Norman Loayza, 1999. "Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 51, Central Bank of Chile.
- Calderon, Cesar & Chong, Alberto & Loayza, Norman, 2000. "Determinants of current account deficits in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2398, The World Bank.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Evan Lau, 2007. "Dynamics of fiscal and current account deficits in Thailand: an empirical investigation," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(6), pages 454-475, November.
- Kwalingana, Samson & Nkuna, Onelie, 2009. "The Determinants of Current Account Imbalances in Malawi," MPRA Paper 14694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Hendry, David F, 1980. "Econometrics-Alchemy or Science?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(188), pages 387-406, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:trstrv:v:19:y:2013:i:3:p:357-366. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.