Separability and aggregation of equivalence relations
We provide axiomatic characterizations of two natural families of rules for aggregating equivalence relations: the family of join aggregators and the family of meet aggregators. The central conditions in these characterizations are two separability axioms. Disjunctive separability, neutrality, and unanimity characterize the family of join aggregators. On the other hand, conjunctive separability and unanimity characterize the family of meet aggregators. We show another characterization of the family of meet aggregators using conjunctive separability and two Pareto axioms, Pareto + and Pareto − . If we drop Pareto − , then conjunctive separability and Pareto + characterize the family of meet aggregators along with a trivial aggregator. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
Volume (Year): 51 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm |
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dinko Dimitrov & Shao Chin Sung & Yongsheng Xu, 2006.
"Procedural group identification,"
383, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Samet, Dov & Schmeidler, David, 2003.
"Between liberalism and democracy,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 213-233, June.
- Dov Samet & David Schmeidler, 1999. "Between Liberalism and Democracy," Game Theory and Information 9908001, EconWPA.
- David Schmeidler, 1998. "Between Liberalism and Democracy," Working Papers 98-18, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- David Schmeidler, 2000. "Between LIberalism and Democracy," Working Papers 00-08, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Dimitrov, Dinko & Puppe, Clemens, 2011.
"Non-bossy social classification,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 162-165.
- Dimitrov, Dinko & Puppe, Clemens, 2011. "Non-bossy social classification," Working Paper Series in Economics 23, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Department of Economics and Business Engineering.
- Dinko Dimitrov & Clemens Puppe, 2009. "Non-bossy Social Classification," Working Papers 2009.101, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Peter Fishburn & Ariel Rubinstein, 1986. "Aggregation of equivalence relations," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 61-65, March.
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Fishburn, Peter C., 1986. "Algebraic aggregation theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 63-77, February.
- John Geanakoplos, 2005. "Three brief proofs of Arrow’s Impossibility Theorem," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 211-215, 07.
- Murat Çengelci & M. Sanver, 2010. "Simple Collective Identity Functions," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 68(4), pages 417-443, April.
- J. Barthélemy, 1988. "Comments on “aggregation of equivalence relations” by P. C. Fishburn and A. Rubinstein," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 85-87, March.
- Nicolas, Houy, 2007. ""I want to be a J!": Liberalism in group identification problems," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 59-70, July.
- Miller, Alan D., 2008. "Group identification," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 188-202, May.
- Jean-Pierre Barthélemy & Bruno Leclerc & Bernard Monjardet, 1986. "On the use of ordered sets in problems of comparison and consensus of classifications," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 187-224, September.
- Leclerc, B., 1984. "Efficient and binary consensus functions on transitively valued relations," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 45-61, August.
- Dean Neumann & Victor Norton, 1986. "Clustering and isolation in the consensus problem for partitions," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 281-297, September.
- Hart, Sergiu & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1989. "Potential, Value, and Consistency," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 589-614, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:51:y:2012:i:1:p:191-212. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.