Separability and aggregation of equivalence relations
We provide axiomatic characterizations of two natural families of rules for aggregating equivalence relations: the family of join aggregators and the family of meet aggregators. The central conditions in these characterizations are two separability axioms. Disjunctive separability, neutrality, and unanimity characterize the family of join aggregators. On the other hand, conjunctive separability and unanimity characterize the family of meet aggregators. We show another characterization of the family of meet aggregators using conjunctive separability and two Pareto axioms, Pareto + and Pareto − . If we drop Pareto − , then conjunctive separability and Pareto + characterize the family of meet aggregators along with a trivial aggregator. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 51 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dean Neumann & Victor Norton, 1986. "Clustering and isolation in the consensus problem for partitions," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 281-297, September.
- Nicolas, Houy, 2007. ""I want to be a J!": Liberalism in group identification problems," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 59-70, July.
- Jean-Pierre Barthélemy & Bruno Leclerc & Bernard Monjardet, 1986. "On the use of ordered sets in problems of comparison and consensus of classifications," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 187-224, September.
- Dimitrov, Dinko & Puppe, Clemens, 2011.
"Non-bossy social classification,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 162-165.
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Fishburn, Peter C., 1986. "Algebraic aggregation theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 63-77, February.
- Dimitrov, Dinko & Sung, Shao Chin & Xu, Yongsheng, 2007.
"Procedural group identification,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 137-146, September.
- Dimitrov, D.A. & Sung, S.C. & Xu, Y., 2003. "Procedural Group Identification," Discussion Paper 2003-10, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dinko Dimitrov & Shao Chin Sung & Yongsheng Xu, 2006. "Procedural group identification," Center for Mathematical Economics Working Papers 383, Center for Mathematical Economics, Bielefeld University.
- John Geanakoplos, 2005. "Three brief proofs of Arrow’s Impossibility Theorem," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 211-215, 07.
- Peter Fishburn & Ariel Rubinstein, 1986. "Aggregation of equivalence relations," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 61-65, March.
- David Schmeidler, 1998.
"Between Liberalism and Democracy,"
98-18, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Hart, Sergiu & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1989. "Potential, Value, and Consistency," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 589-614, May.
- Leclerc, B., 1984. "Efficient and binary consensus functions on transitively valued relations," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 45-61, August.
- Murat Çengelci & M. Sanver, 2010. "Simple Collective Identity Functions," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 68(4), pages 417-443, April.
- J. Barthélemy, 1988. "Comments on “aggregation of equivalence relations” by P. C. Fishburn and A. Rubinstein," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 85-87, March.
- Miller, Alan D., 2008. "Group identification," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 188-202, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:51:y:2012:i:1:p:191-212. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.