We then characterize analytically and numerically how the characteristics of private information—its quantity, persistence and correlation, and division among speculators—affect trading profits, pricing and trading strategies. In particular, we derive how speculators trade on new information versus old, and on private signals versus prices. We show via a frequency-domain argument that trading strategies emphasize new information versus old.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/199/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ball, J. A. & Taub, B., 1991. "Factoring spectral matrices in linear-quadratic models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 39-44, January.
- Kerry Back & C. Henry Cao & Gregory A. Willard, 2000. "Imperfect Competition among Informed Traders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2117-2155, October.
- Wang, Jiang, 1959- & He, Hua., 1994.
"Differential information and dynamic behavior of stock trading volume,"
3731-94., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- He, Hua & Wang, Jiang, 1995. "Differential Information and Dynamic Behavior of Stock Trading Volume," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(4), pages 919-72.
- Hua He & Jiang Wang, 1995. "Differential Information and Dynamic Behavior of Stock Trading Volume," NBER Working Papers 5010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hua He and Jiang Wang., 1993. "Differential Information and Dynamic Behavior of Stock Trading Volume," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-228, University of California at Berkeley.
- Minh Chau & Dimitri Vayanos, 2005.
"Strong-form efficiency with monopolistic insiders,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
458, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jiang Wang, 1993. "A Model of Intertemporal Asset Prices Under Asymmetric Information," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(2), pages 249-282.
- Joseph G. Pearlman & Thomas J. Sargent, 2005. "Knowing the Forecasts of Others," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 8(2), pages 480-497, April.
- Foster, F. Douglas & Viswanathan, S., 1994. "Strategic Trading with Asymmetrically Informed Traders and Long-Lived Information," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(04), pages 499-518, December.
- Taub, Bart, 1986. "The tradeoff between social insurance and aggregate fluctuations," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 259-276, December.
- Back, Kerry, 1992. "Insider Trading in Continuous Time," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 387-409.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J., 1980.
"Formulating and estimating dynamic linear rational expectations models,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 7-46, May.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 1979. "Formulating and estimating dynamic linear rational expectations models," Working Papers 127, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- P. Seiler & B. Taub, 2008. "The dynamics of strategic information flows in stock markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 43-82, January.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Kenneth Kasa, 2000.
"Forecasting the Forecasts of Others in the Frequency Domain,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(4), pages 726-756, October.
- Kenneth Kasa, 1995. "Signal extraction and the propagation of business cycles," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 95-14, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Kerry Back & Hal Pedersen, 1995.
"Long-Lived Information and Intraday Patterns,"
- Dan Bernhardt & Jianjun Miao, 2004. "Informed Trading When Information Becomes Stale," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 339-390, 02.
- Taub, B., 1997. "Optimal policy in a model of endogenous fluctuations and assets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1669-1697, August.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1996. " Strategic Trading When Agents Forecast the Forecasts of Others," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1437-78, September.
- Wang, Jiang, 1994. "A Model of Competitive Stock Trading Volume," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(1), pages 127-68, February.
- Whiteman, Charles H., 1985. "Spectral utility, wiener-hopf techniques, and rational expectations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 225-240, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:44:y:2010:i:1:p:1-52. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.