Towards a diagnostic approach to climate adaptation for fisheries
A diagnostic approach to climate change adaptation for fisheries is proposed to define potential climate adaptation pathways in well-managed fisheries. Traditional climate vulnerability and risk assessments tend to focus on biophysical threats and opportunities and thereby what needs to be done to adapt to climate change. Our diagnostic approach moves from such analysis to focus on how the processes of adaptation and development of adaptive capacity can be structured to achieve desired outcomes. Using a well-grounded framework, the diagnostic approach moves from system description to characterization of challenges and opportunities, through two stages of analysis and validation, to the definition and embedding of adaptation options and pathways. The framework can include all contextually relevant variables and accommodate evaluation of adaptation outcomes and comparisons across scales and contexts. Such an approach can serve as a basis for enabling stakeholders to identify challenges and opportunities, and to explore and prioritize options for development and implementation of legitimate adaptation pathways. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2014
Volume (Year): 122 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10584|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haward, Marcus & Davidson, Julie & Lockwood, Michael & Hockings, Marc & Kriwoken, Lorne & Allchin, Robyn, 2013. "Climate change, scenarios and marine biodiversity conservation," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 438-446.
- Pascoe, Sean & Mary Dichmont, Catherine & Brooks, Kate & Pears, Rachel & Jebreen, Edward, 2013. "Management objectives of Queensland fisheries: Putting the horse before the cart," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 115-122.
- Quentin Grafton, R., 2010.
"Adaptation to climate change in marine capture fisheries,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 606-615, May.
- Quentin Grafton, 2009. "Adaptation to Climate Change in Marine Capture Fisheries," Environmental Economics Research Hub Research Reports 0937, Environmental Economics Research Hub, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Grafton, R. Quentin, 2009. "Adaptation to Climate Change in Marine Capture Fisheries," Research Reports 94886, Australian National University, Environmental Economics Research Hub.
- Degnbol, Poul & Gislason, Henrik & Hanna, Susan & Jentoft, Svein & Raakjær Nielsen, Jesper & Sverdrup-Jensen, Sten & Clyde Wilson, Douglas, 2006. "Painting the floor with a hammer: Technical fixes in fisheries management," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 534-543, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:climat:v:122:y:2014:i:1:p:55-66. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.